Anyone know what this is? (Or was)??

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi.  Anyone know what this is?  (Or was)?  I found it sitting on my foredeck just starboard and aft (about 2 feet) from my mast.  Its flexible and about 1/16" thick.  Appears to be some sort of gasket.  Now - it might not be mine - might have just blown there, but wondering if it might have fallen off somewhere like the gooseneck or the mast head?

I've got a 34 Mk II year 2000 (hull 1494) if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Geoffreykwright

Both an in-mast furling main and a furling jib.

I found this maybe a month (or more) ago but furling action on the main seems unaffected...
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Its actually smaller than I thought -- maybe a gasket from the foredeck or anchor light fixture?  grasping at straws here!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Geoffreykwright

No worries - thanks anyway...again - not even sure if its from my boat.  just would hate to find out it was essential and did not make any enquiries.  going up the mast within a few weeks - will look up there to see if there is anything obvious.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

patrice

It look like the head part of the furler top bushing.
I rebuilt mine this spring, and look very simillar to it.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Geoffreykwright

Patrice - thanks.  would that be the main or jib furler?  or could be from either one??
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

patrice

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Geo : You haven't stated if it is plastic, metal or combo of both.

My guess is that it's a bushing from your head sail roller fuller.

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I think that the previous guesses are more probable than this.  I'm only offering this because my boat is close hull number to yours.  I found a plastic part on my deck and it took me a while thinking what it was.  It was from the plastic steaming light that got chafed from tacking.  Light still works. It's on the to-do list.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

John Langford

When we were younger and used to have more fun, we would put things like a used clevis or cotter pin on friends' decks and watch them go nuts trying to figure out what it had fallen out of. Might you have such a buddy?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: John Langford on September 21, 2016, 12:41:59 PM
When we were younger and used to have more fun, we would put things like a used clevis or cotter pin on friends' decks and watch them go nuts trying to figure out what it had fallen out of. Might you have such a buddy?

Had not thought of that...while I DO have friends like that none of them are at my club...but clever thought nonetheless...
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA