Deck Stepped Mast Issues?

Previous topic - Next topic

notallthere

We are looking at an 86' and an 87'.  One of the biggest differences is the Mast Step Location. I would prefer the Keel Stepped, but has anyone found any issues with the Deck Stepped Version? We are not planning any serious offshore work, just coastal cruising in Southern California. That said, we have young kids, so safety is a major priority

Thanks again!

Noah

I thought all Mark I boats had factory keel
steppped masts. Are you saying one of these 86 or 87s you are looking at has a deck stepped mast? Learn someting every day!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

notallthere

Yes, Sailboat Data has the changing to keel stepped happening in model year 87. That bears out in the boats we have looked at. I assume Catalina only changed because there were issues, but would love to be told otherwise!

Noah, are you an SDYC Guy? We are as well and that is where we are planning on basing to boat

KWKloeber

Keel stepped became an option before it became the standard, so you may find mixes/matches for a given year.

Also no manufacturer will just pull boats off the line when making an upgrade or change -- if they can 'sneak' remaining parts inventory through of course they will -- so you can sometimes see a "slow, gentle" modification happen over a series of consecutive hulls, or a change happen all of a sudden (if there's no inventory remaining.)

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1081.0

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ah ha! Thx! Do learn something even twice a day! :clap
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : The 1986 (first production year) had the option of deck or keel stepped mast.  Then in 1987 and subsequent MKIs there was only the keel stepped mast. 
The MKIIs in 1995 and subsequent are all deck stepped masts.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Fred Koehlmann

Hi notallthere,

We have a MkII deck stepped Catalina 34. Before we had a C&C 30 with a keel stepped mast. My beef with keel stepped masts was that no matter how well you sealed around the deck, you still got water coming down the mast, inside. When it rained the water would run down through the sheave openings. I love that we now have completely dry bilges. (Just removed some cobwebs this last week  :D)

The compression post supports the mast just fine and, no, we have not had any issues to date. Why do want a keel stepped mast, out of curiosity?
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Clay Greene

I have had both a keel-stepped mast in our C34 and a deck-stepped mast on our C387.  I far prefer the deck-stepped mast.  There is no way to keep water out of the bilge with a keel-stepped mast.  I eventually went to Spartite on our C34 and that solved the water getting in between the mast and the cabintop but there is nothing to be done about rain coming down the inside of the mast.  We also had a big mast pumping annoyance with our C34 that I no longer have with the C387 and I have to think that the keel step was part of that dynamic.  We also have a baby stay with our C387 so I think that helps prevent the mast pumping as well.  I have never heard of there being any issues with the security of Catalina's deck-stepped masts for coastal sailing purposes. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

RV61

Our 1986 has a decked step mast and the only issue I have had with it was I was having trouble tracking down a leak and with the help of a moisture meter was able to determine the mast plate needed to be re-bed.   
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

cmainprize

Deck stepped mast present zero safety concerns vs a keel stepped mast. Both styles have pro's and cons related to leaks, and ease of stepping.   You will have lots of other things going wrong if breaking or dis-masting is a concern. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

britinusa

Quote from: Clay Greene on September 08, 2016, 09:46:36 AM
...We also had a big mast pumping annoyance with our C34 that I no longer have with the C387 and I have to think that the keel step was part of that dynamic.

Eximius has the keel stepped mast - it also has the anti pumping (humping) turnbuckle in the cabin between the mast and the mast plate (thru bolted cabin top). No pumping to date.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : That interior turnbuckle is to hold the deck in place as the shrouds are tightened.  Otherwise without that turn buckle holding the deck in place; as you'd tighten the shrouds the sides would be compressed inward moving the center of the cabin top up. 

Mast Pumping is something else.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Ron,
I thought that I understood the function of the turnbuckle.

If the turnbuckle was not in place (or loose) then the cabin top would be free to move up and down relative to the mast.

Hence why I referred to the action as humping, and my reference to pumping was a Trumpism.

:?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP