side gate

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi,

My lifeline does open the cockpit length like Noah's picture.
But sure doesn't help docking.

But just a question, lifeline height is about 22" high.
My spouse is not a tall women either, she hold the shroud with one hand, step over the lifeline to step on the toerail facing boat.
With her other hand will grabe the dockline that was on the deck, or still have it with same hand holding shroud.
When we are at proper distance to the dock, she will step down to the dock backward holding herself to the shroud/lifeline.
The rule is not to jump on the dock, if we are not in a good position, we get away and do it over.  Worst case, I prefer a scratch on the boat than a broken ankle.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Bobg

Thank you all for your advice, I like how the post morphed into spring line docking, I will use some of those ideas as well, the side gate I want really isn't all about docking, I sailed a 42 catalina the last two days with a midship gate, really liked it as it was always close to the dock.  my current oem gate is usually away from the dock a bit, when I get new people on board they hesitate to step over onto the boat.  Also I like boat projects.  Thanks everyone.  Now, how do I get those new pelican hooks swaged onto my existing life lines.  Gotta research that as well
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

britinusa

Stepping onto the boat from the dock is an issue for my admiral too.

Solution was to add a grab rail on the Dodger. The additional confidence of having something solid to grab makes all the difference.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Jim Hardesty

Quotethe side gate I want really isn't all about docking, I sailed a 42 catalina the last two days with a midship gate, really liked it as it was always close to the dock.  my current oem gate is usually away from the dock a bit

Bob,
For that reason I tie up my boat at an angle to put the cockpit (aft) closer to the dock.  The distance to the dock is just over 1 fender diameter wide.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Craig Illman

We have a FenderStep http://www.fenderstep.com  that we use at the shrouds to let my shorter Significant Other step off onto the dock from my C30. We just have a couple 5/16" lines with brass clips that we loop around the stanchion bases. Clipped together, we loop it over one of the primary winches for getting out of the dinghy alongside the boat. Sorry, I don't have a picture. My C30 actually appears to be about three to four inches higher at the toerail than a C34 that's across the dock from us. That can make a significant difference for us altitudinally challenged sailors. (Although cabin height and vberth length becomes less of an issue).  :D 

Craig