ProNautic 1230P

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

RC,

CH >tongue< EEK.  You need a vaka!!

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 02, 2016, 01:50:10 PM
RC,

CH >tongue< EEK.  You need a vaka!!

ken

Ah missed that in type.. Sadly I just got back from a delivery and then cruising... :thumb: Need more I guess... D'oh.....
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Paulus

Was at the boat today.  Programmed my charger to the present #1.  Checked all the batteries with my volt meter before I turned on the charger.  #2 starting batter was fully charged,  my trojan house batteries were reading 12.75.  Turned on the charger, showed that #2 battery was fully charged, switched my battery switch to #1 battery, the same info.  When I put the battery switch on BOTH the charger sensed the need and proceeded to charge the house batteries(4trojans). Not sure why it needed to be on BOTH.  Perhaps someone with electrical knowledge(my knowledge is very limited) could give me some insight.  Appreciate any comments.
Paul
PS:  Eleven years with the non smart charger this was never an issue, perhaps ignorance is bliss.  The good news is that my house batteries were depended on the solar panel for 3 months.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul

What was the reserve V reading (you say "fully charged")?  How long had they been resting?  Any load whatsoever on the house?
I think the most positive way to do it, is to turn off the charger. connect to the batt, then turn on the charger.  Strange it did what it did when on "B" but I'm guessing that the Pronautic would probably catch up that the house needed ooomph, given some time -- might just be a lag time.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Paulus

Starting battery on my volt meter was 14.8  They have been resting for 5 days.  The only think on my starting battery is my temp gauge for my espar heater.  The only load on the house battery is the LED battery light on the panel and my bilge pump.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Thanks for the thought, Ken.
I think that you are onto something.  Will try a be more patient with the charger. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jon W

By "showing the battery was fully charged", do you mean the charger didn't respond? How long did you wait before switching from position 2 to 1? When turned on after sitting for a while, mine takes several seconds to start charging.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Paulus

It took several seconds.  Before it went to the house bank, it was finishing up the starting battery.  I think that I was a little impatient.  Everything is working just fine.  I thought the charger would automatically go to the lowest battery bank.  Not sure where that thinking came from??  The battery switch has nothing to do with the shore power charger.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Battery charger operating just fine.  Only one question.  My house batteries showing 13.45 and my Costco starting battery was at 14.9  Should I be think about a relay for the starting battery and what type do you recommend?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul

What voltage charge profile is your reserve battery looking for?

-kk

Paulus

Spoke with a technician at ProMariner and he recommended for my setup to go with Sealed preset #1.  Cannot answer your question for the starting battery but am working on it.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

mainesail

Looks like the "technician" at ProMariner knows more about Trojan batteries than Trojan does... D'oh....

Trojan Charging
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Paulus

Thanks, Mainsail
I was able to find this but could not find the profile for the interstate starting battery.  Costco was no help and did search the internet.  No luck so far.
Also, mainesail, last spring you had a pic on the forum showing a unique connector for the negative cables to the engine block.  Your article was about something else, it just happened to be on the pic.
Any ideas?
Appreciate your response,
Paul 
Cool Change 1989 #944