Propane level

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Can I read the amount of propane left by reading the pressure gage.  I have a MKll with the factory aluminum propane tank.  I don't use much propane.  In the fall I do enjoy anchoring and doing a casserole in the oven and enjoying a warm boat for the evening.  Can I tell by the pressure gage reading how much propane is left?   
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

Not really.  I mark the face of the gauge with a grease pencil when it's full.  When the gauge is reading half of the full pressure I get it refilled.  Not empty but getting close.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Forum Readers,

We don't use propane for cooking (CNG for that), but we do have a LEHR outboard on our dinghy.  It is powered by one of those small propane tanks that fit right into the engine.  When it runs out we put in a new tank, but there is just enough fuel left in the old tank to grill one steak on our stern mounted gas grill  :D.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Ron Hill

Jim : The gage reads pressure.  You can only determine how "full" your tank is - is by weight.
By the time the pressure reads in the "yellow" you are just about out of propane!!

I used quite a bit of propane averaging over 100+ overnights on the boat per year.  I had a 10lb tank and would get it "topped off" once a year at a Propane company.  That company would only charge for the propane added which they again measured by weight.  As I recall it about 4+ lbs/gallon.

You might also take your tank to an RV/Trailer park - they usually have propane, but usually will charge a standard fee per tank size to "fill" / check your tank?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Jim,

Boil 1-2 cups of water.  Pour it over the side of the tank.  Run you hand down the tank.  Find the point where the tank goes from feeling warm (empty) to cool (filled with propane).  That is your propane level.  Simple but effective.

Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteBoil 1-2 cups of water.  Pour it over the side of the tank.  Run you hand down the tank.  Find the point where the tank goes from feeling warm (empty) to cool (filled with propane).  That is your propane level.  Simple but effective.

I'll try that next time.  Took the tank out and had it filled $1.16.  Guess it was still almost full.  Well it's full now and I have a clean propane locker.
Thanks for the good tip Dave.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : I've seen a thermal strip that glues to the side of the tank and will do the same indications when you put some hot water on the strip. Look at a RV store.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on August 28, 2016, 04:48:54 AM
Can I read the amount of propane left by reading the pressure gage.  I have a MKll with the factory aluminum propane tank.  I don't use much propane.  In the fall I do enjoy anchoring and doing a casserole in the oven and enjoying a warm boat for the evening.  Can I tell by the pressure gage reading how much propane is left?   
Jim

Jim, there's many pressure-type propane tank devices out there and basically none are reliable.  The reason is that the pressure in the tank remains relatively constant so long as there's any LP left in there (pressure is based on the vapor pressure of propane, not the liquid level in the tank.)  Once the pressure drops, it's usually too late (no liquid level remaining.)  There's level types out there (electronic types that attach to the side of the tank -- which negate the need for pouring warm water over the tank.)  The Propane GasGenie and Truma LevelCheck are examples.  Also there's calibrated weight scales -- that either fit under a tank or you hang a tank from -- also a simple luggage scale works (go by weight of an empty tank vs a full tank.)

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

And there's the microwave. :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SPembleton

The most reliable method is weighing it.  I have a Mk 1 and therefor no propane, therefore i dont know how it is installed, but if you can get a common scale under it, determine what the weight is for a full and nearly empty tank, you have a very reliable method.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Ron Hill

All : The empty weight of all propane tanks is stamped on the handle/guard!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ken Krawford

That's calibrated for a 20 lb tank which weighs ~ 17 lbs empty and a 4.5 lbs tank weight ~ 11 lbs.

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 13, 2016, 07:56:16 AM

Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

KWKloeber

Just close one eye when you read it!  LOL

-k