repairing shaft log

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Ok, so I had the boat yard help me get my engine raised and new mounts installed - just didn't want to do it myself Anyway, after removing the shaft seal, they found that the shaft had been riding so low in the tub that the bottom of the log had worn away and was cracked.  They are suggesting glassing around the outside to strengthen and hopefully still be able to fit the PSS shaft seal on after removing insert.  Anyone have a take on this theory?  Should I insist they try to glass inside?

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

sailr4

Here are some before and after pics...

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

sailr4

The bottom of the shaft log was carved out end to end.  Will need to replaced eventually, but hopefully this will be a suitable fix for a bit.

Stu Jackson

Rob, call Gerry Douglas and ask him.

Was that Marine Tex on the inside?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailr4

I hope not. It is supposed to be glass.