Any idea what this is for?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

Two of these came with the boat.  They're made of cotton; the buttons are sewn in without button holes, and doesn't have pockets, just the folded-up panel with buttons.  There's a hem along the top that could hold a rod.  Figured I'd ask if I'm missing some ingenious invention before tossing it.  Thanks.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

KWKloeber

Did you post this before?  If not there's FOUR of them out there.  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I remember ideas/guesses, maybe not a definitive answer though.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Steve_in_lex

D'oh!  Yes, I did post this earlier in the summer.  Went on a trip and forgot to check back!  Sorry about that.  God some good suggestions, with a plurality being lee cloths.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

KWKloeber

Doesn't seem likely to me - too small and not waterproof/sunbrella for a cockpit lee cloth, no lower attachment points for a bunk lee cloth.  More of a 'holder' for multiple somethingorothers.  Possibly a settee or vee berth 'catch all'?
Forensically, the buttons seem to me to reinforce the pull point so that just a stitch there won't rip through the cloth - suggesting a heavy or very bulky item in each pseudo pocket.  Suggests owner didn't have a machine to sew pockets, so used the stitch/button, possibly nor a snap setter to install snaps to hang it in the berth.  Who knows - just guesses?  How about asking PO and enlightening us?

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

corset for fat pirates.

I forget the nautical name for it?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mark_53

Just chuck it. Then you will find out you need it. Oh, someone said that before too.

Steve_in_lex

I'm thinking that Mark has the best idea.  Thanks all.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

captran

I saw something similar on a boat once that was on a life line and they kept extra propane bottles in the "sleeves".
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

RV61

My Guess Hatch board covers to protect them when storing?
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie