Water over the swim step under power

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

When we are under power, operating at about 2100 RPM's and doing 6.7+ knots, the stern seems to sink a bit and water often comes over the swim step on our Mk 11.  Generally this only happens with a following sea.  Anyone else having this happen?  It's been doing it for the 5 years we have had the boat with no apparent issues other than I get wet feet when at the helm.  Thanks.
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Ross Fisher

I have sailed and motored my boat, similar specifications, in all manner of conditions and never had any situation like this. Do you have any particularly heavy  equipment in your stern lockers?
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Jim Hardesty

Chuck,
I also have a MKll and at that speed my swim platform goes underwater (or close) also.  And have waves board from the stern a few times.  I'm not sure if the stern squats or if it's the quarter wave rising.  FWIW I'm in fresh water and Lake Erie.  That means the boat sits a little lower in the water (fresh is less dense than salt water) and the waves are steeper and closer than most places.
If you get your feet wet often I think you need to look at how your boat is loaded.  Do you have a tender hanging from davits?  I don't think it's very common to have waves board.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tommyt

Escape Hatch squats when under power, but have never noticed water over the step let alone in the cockpit. Sounds like a loading issue. What do you have parked in that garage?
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Lance Jones

If you watch most Catalina boats, they squat when under power. It happens on my Mk I; but, obviously doesn't come into the cockpit. When I went to a 2 bladed prop, it was less. Now that I am back to a 3 bladed prop, it has returned to the lower squat. Simple physics.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

lazybone

Over 6.7 knots under power?

My head would expode from all the excitement
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Quote from: lazybone on August 17, 2016, 12:24:31 PM
Over 6.7 knots under power?

My head would expode from all the excitement

Yup, at those warp speeds, our entire cockpit would be under water!  :shock: :shock: :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."