Aft water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

Yes, i was thinking that too - a smaller one.  i didn't look to see how it was attached and i'm not unhappy to have to replace it, since it was probably gunky on the inside too
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

anaisdog

also, do you have a picture of the hoses going into yours before you took it out?  thanks

Stu Jackson

I don't share your concern about weight at all, but then I'm a cruiser, albeit a former racer (who didn't empty his water and fuel tanks when racing! :D). 

Remember the port list issue with our boats, discussed as early as 1987 in Mainsheet?  The water tanks are on the starboard side, right?   :D :clap :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

nope.  both of mine are smack in the middle with my holding tank on the port side.

if you have a soft bladder, can you take a picture of it for me?  thanks

Ekutney

Pictures of the bladder before it was removed is in post 21 of this chain.  I've modified the pic to show exactly where the connections are.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

anaisdog

Ekutney

I have been doing some research on water bladders, NAUTA still makes them and it lasted 30 years.  As I said mine still holds water but I don't like the idea of drinking water from it after the gunk that spilled out when I removed the tank.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

anaisdog

yeah, that's why i'm not unhappy to have to spend this money.  no idea what is in there (and i really don't want to see).  going to cut a hole in the bottom of mine, let it drain into the bilge then replace it with one smaller.

Ekutney

I took a pic of what emptied out of mine, look at post 21 of this chain.  I find it hard to believe somebody did not get sick drinking out of it.  Nasty smelly black gunk!!  BTW, where are you located anaisdog?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

anaisdog

detroit.  at detroit yacht club, on the detroit river.  and i don't know if anyone has drank out of mine, since i bought the boat 5 years ago.  we only do day trips so i haven't needed tanks of fresh water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ekutney on August 18, 2016, 07:34:08 AM
I have been doing some research on water bladders, NAUTA still makes them and it lasted 30 years.  As I said mine still holds water but I don't like the idea of drinking water from it after the gunk that spilled out when I removed the tank.

Ed, check the "101 Topics" for water system recommissioning by Peggie Hall.  Properly treated, and/or used often, like our boat, should allay those fears.  Our system has been clean and well used for 18 years, we drink out of the tanks and carry four gallons in jugs primarily to use for coffee in the morning when someone else is sleeping.  The working water pump does make some noise.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ekutney

Stu,

I have reviewed the 101 topic on Fresh Water commissioning and even bought her book on Boat odors... she is the SME on the topic.

My concern regarding reinstalling the old bladder is more of how much longer will it last plus it is very difficult to get to get to the attachment points to reinstall the wooden blocks.  It hung right on top of the shaft log and since I have two other hard water tanks I don't have a shortage of fresh water.  One of the reasons I would like to have water storage aft is to get some weight back aft.  The boat is bow heavy right now which means water collects in the forward portion of the cockpit, if not for the teak grating I would be stepping into a puddle at the top of the companionway every time it rains.  I currently have to push the water in the cockpit back to the scuppers to get it out.  This may be the reason the later model C-34 had a 43 gal water tank way back aft, not sure.  Maybe I'll start another thread asking for input/opinions/experience with boat trim issues.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Now I got it, Ed.  Understood, good reasoning.

A trim thread would be a great idea.