Battery Life

Previous topic - Next topic

PRIMROSE

I took title of my hull 1531 in Aug 2000.Ihave 168 hrs on engine.

I always start M35b engine with common setting on switch. The volt meter for battery 1&2 reads 14 v.

However, under load for engine start, #2 won't turn over the engine. #1 will.It seems I have bad  battery after only 2.5 sailing seasons.IE, 18 months,I usually end up in a slip therefore use shore power on a cruise. I have anchored overnight about 12 times since I bought boat only using cabin lights and refigerator. In winter, marina removes batteries and keeps them suposingly charged.

It seems 4d battery life should be at least four sailing seasons under my conditions. Any comments are welcome.

steve

usually end up in a slip

Stu Jackson

Stephen

If you haven't already, check this out:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=517601911&r=137601911#137601911

One of the most damaging and battery-destroying things known to man are the horrible chargers installed by Catalina (and most other boat builders).

They just haven't got a clue.

I serioulsy suspect that most of your longevity concerns can be traced back to the charger.

Good luck,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

Stu has this one right.  I had my original charger eat a new set of batteries in less than 12 months - it went out of its mind and boiled them dry. f

Norris Johnson

Same problem with the charger supplied by Catalina, Flyback 20. Sent it back to the factory and it has worked fine the last two yrs. If it fails, I will go with a different charger.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas