Leak - Repair around Deck Openings

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

Hi Everyone,

Last weekend I removed the Solar Vent and hatch in the head to investigate a brownish leak coming from both (also have leak in salon hatch).  What I found appears to be water getting in between the frames and the desk materials. The wood was mostly okay with a few soft spots. Right now they are drying out in the 85+ degree CT weather we are having.

What do you recommend for repair?
Do I dig out all bad wood and fill?
Fill with?
When reinstalling, what do I seal with? 4200?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Ben H.

More Images
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Ben H.

More Images
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Ron Hill

Be : I'd dig out any of the soft rotten wood.  Then fill those voids with an epoxy paste.  Then use some caulk sealant to reseat the frames for the hatch and solar vent.  (I like 3m4200)

Don't be stingy with that caulk!!  If it squirts out - all the better.  Let it dry and it's easily trimmed with a utility knife/box cutters.  :D 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ben H.

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 28, 2016, 01:27:48 PM
Then fill those voids with an epoxy paste.

Thanks Ron, that was what I thought. Any recommendations on epoxy/filler?  WestSystem with a filler or straight?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Ron Hill

Ben : I'd use a epoxy paste as the West and most other epoxies are runny and hard to get into a void that's vertical.  Watch the time to cure of your epoxy paste.
Using a paste you can force it in with a putty knife and it'll stay put while it cures.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

It's easy to get the West System epoxy to any sort of consistency you want with their different additives.  It's a very elegant group of products.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677