Beware the low-hour diesel

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

When we got our 34 several years back I was a bit concerned that the engine already has around 1200 hours on it. While this was only about 100 hr/year, I worried that there might be something I should be wary of with that much "unknown" usage. (It wasn't until later that I found the extensive maintenance records the POs had kept - thanks Jay and Harvey!) I called Catalina and talked to Kent (the tech rep at the time) and his comment was "I'd be more worried if it DIDN'T have 1200 hours on it!", the logic being that diesels need to be worked regularly. I always shake my head when I see the ads for 2001 boats "with only 120 hours on the engine!" Yikes. Run.

An article just came out in Latitude 38 that adds even more credence to the idea that a low engine hour diesel is not necessarily a good thing. A diesel engineer claims that you should turn your fuel over at least once a year, because  "If you run old fuel that has lost its caloric oomph, as so many sailors do, it wrecks the engine." Interesting read: http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2016-07-11#Story4

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Ron Hill

Mick : AMEN!!  You are a voice in the wilderness!!  I said the same thing about low engine hours 15 years ago!  I recommend that a buyer look for at least 100 hours a year - 150 would be better.

Thanks for the article   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

We bought our then 12 year old boat in 1998 with 888 engine hours = 74 hours per year.

We have had the boat for 18 years with now 3100 hours.  3100 - 888 = 2,212 / 18 = 122.88.

Overall:  30 years @ 3100 = 103.33

Some years more, some years less.  I've done a few years at over 200 hours, but with my leg broken skiing in 2009, I was out for almost a year.  Tough noogies.   :clap :cry4`

I keep meticulous records, as should everyone, some don't.

I have been reading Latitude 38 since I moved to the Bay Area in 1978 (recently moved to Canada), have met Richard and Dona, and take some of the stuff he writes with a BIG grain of salt.

OOMPH?  I say BS to that part.

OTOH: use it or lose it.   :D :D :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mick Laver

Agreed. Lot's of hyperbole in Latitude 38's writing. But since this advice was from a diesel mechanic (not Richard) I paid a bit more attention. We too get over 100 hrs per year so it's not an issue, but I thought other folks might be interested.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Ron Hill

Guys : When Stu bought his C34 it was only 12 years old. 

So age makes a big difference especially if the boat you're looking at is 15+ or 20 + years old!!!

A thought    :think
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

Quote from: Mick Laver on July 11, 2016, 12:44:52 PM..."If you run old fuel that has lost its caloric oomph, as so many sailors do, it wrecks the engine."...
I have to wonder how, exactly, diesel fuel loses its "caloric oomph" over time. I know that bad things can happen to stale fuel, but loss of BTU content would require some interesting chemical changes.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

mark_53

Sounds like the "diesel mechanic" was playing with the writer. Besides the loss of "caloric omph", has anyone added kerosene and ATF to thier diesel? Gives it a nice waxy coating lol.

Stephen Butler

Interesting topic.  Two points: 1) Engine use:  The engine on our 1990, C34 has averaged 30 hours per annum.  In the 16 years that we have owned the boat, the average annual use has risen to 50 hours.  We sail the boat continuously for 2 months a year, and then put her on the hard for the remaining time.  So if we were to run an entire 12 months, I suppose we would be in the 300 hour range.  But so what.  The engine is thoroughly maintained, both at launch and also when we go back onto the hard.  No problems to date.  From my own experience, both in the Caterpillar diesel world and with our own engine, the key is regular and professional maintenance, and not some annual hourly use number.  2) Diesel loosing its BTU?  It is possible for older fuel to have some of the volatiles evaporate off, which would reduce the BTU, but this usually takes years and requires rather sustained hot weather.  I have personally not seen this, but have been with others that have.  I would worry more about water and critters.  Hope this is of help.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023