Auto/manual PFD

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Do you have to have the CO2 cartridges installed in an auto/man PFD to make them compliant if you were stopped by the Coast Guard?
I usually keep 2 on the boat without the CO2 installed.  We have 2 inflatable paddleboards and a local Harbormaster told me we need to have a lifejacket on or strapped to the board when out paddleboarding.  CG regulations.  We use the 2 without CO2 for the paddleboards so they don't autoinflate if they get wet but could be manually inflated if needed.

Was just wondering if we were stopped by the CG, when sailing, if there is an problem with them only being manual inflation?

Geoffreykwright

Not sure about American rules...(I'm Canadian)...but in Canada you need to wear your inflatable with CO2 installed for it to be valid (just having it on board is not sufficient).  Having said that, having a foam life jacket on board is sufficient (i.e. you do not need to wear it).  So my wife and I keep our CO2 vests handy and put them on when the weather gets heavy but always have the foam ones (the key-hole style) in a cockpit locker so we are always compliant.  Hope this helps.  US rules may be similar.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

mark_53

Quote from: mregan on July 08, 2016, 07:32:22 AM
Do you have to have the CO2 cartridges installed in an auto/man PFD to make them compliant if you were stopped by the Coast Guard?
Why are you wearing them to be Coast Guard compliant or to save your butt if you hit your head and can't blow the thing up if you go over? Cartridges are not that heavy or expensive. Wear an old school life jacket if you think cartridges are to expensive.  Got to see the forest for the trees. And no, you are not compliant.

Jon W

USCG rules state an inflatable type life vest must have full cylinders installed and any status indicators working properly. They must be USCG approved and properly sized for the user. They do not have to be worn all of the time, but must be in easy unrestricted reach in case of emergency. An approved life vest of the proper size is required for everyone on board. For boats over 16 feet you are also required to have a throwable cushion.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

mregan

Quote from: mark_53 on July 08, 2016, 10:36:38 AM
Why are you wearing them to be Coast Guard compliant or to save your butt if you hit your head and can't blow the thing up if you go over? Cartridges are not that heavy or expensive. Wear an old school life jacket if you think cartridges are to expensive.  Got to see the forest for the trees. And no, you are not compliant.

I don't think I said cartridges were too expensive and wanted to save money by not purchasing them.  I think you misconstrued my question.  I've got about 8-9 auto pfd on the boat, because that's the max number of people we have on the boat. 2 of the 9 don't have cartridges because we only strap them to the paddleboard to comply with the harbormaster.  I don't use a pfd when paddleboarding.
If we got stopped by the CG with 9 people on the boat, my question is would the 2 without CO2 pass.  From what everyone said, they won't, so I'll pick up 2 more auto pfd.

mark_53

Quote from: mregan on July 08, 2016, 11:39:51 AM
Quote from: mark_53 on July 08, 2016, 10:36:38 AM

I don't think I said cartridges were too expensive and wanted to save money by not purchasing them.  I think you misconstrued my question.  I've got about 8-9 auto pfd on the boat, because that's the max number of people we have on the boat. 2 of the 9 don't have cartridges because we only strap them to the paddleboard to comply with the harbormaster.  I don't use a pfd when paddleboarding.
If we got stopped by the CG with 9 people on the boat, my question is would the 2 without CO2 pass.  From what everyone said, they won't, so I'll pick up 2 more auto pfd.
My point was there is a more important reason than compliance with CG regs for keeping the cartridge in the pfd, namely, it may save your life. That's the reason the CG requires them as stated in the packet that the pfd comes in. Check it out when you buy your next one.

SPembleton

Would their be a problem with just tying on some regular pfds? Would seem to be easier than worrying about whether the inflatable ones are compliant. And, as a extra bonus, you could use them in an emergency!!
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

KWKloeber

From  USCG

Inflatable lifejackets must have a full cylinder and all status indicators on the inflator must be green, or the device is NOT serviceable, and does NOT satisfy the requirement to carry lifejackets.

Many inflatable PFDs are required to be worn in order to qualify. They are marked "approved only when worn" or "required to be worn"

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

I usually keep 2 on the boat without the CO2 installed.  We have 2 inflatable paddleboards and a local Harbormaster told me we need to have a lifejacket on or strapped to the board when out paddleboarding.  CG regulations.  We use the 2 without CO2 for the paddleboards so they don't autoinflate if they get wet but could be manually inflated if needed.

Was just wondering if we were stopped by the CG, when sailing, if there is an problem with them only being manual inflation?

I would think you could figure a way to replace the bobbin with something else so it won't auto-inflate, but would inflate with the pull handle???

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mregan

Solved my problem.  Was at a local discount store.  Found a couple of brand new (but a couple of years old I'm assuming) West Marine manual inflation PFD. Can either use the blow tube or the CO2 to inflate but need to pull the cord to activate.