Did Bomar make the V-berth hatch for the 1987 C34?

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Forum Readers,

Getting close on my small hatch leak.  Before I order just any part I want to make sure I get the right part:

• Did Bomar make the V-berth hatch for the 1987 C34?
  • If so, is there a Bomar part number for the hatch and/or the gasket?
  • Bomar does not seem to exist any more, but parts can be ordered from Pompanette LLC.
  • Catalina direct has gasket material too.  Parts: Z2656, Z1546, Z3708
  • Some of the above are priced by the foot.  What is the exact length I would need to order?

I did this once about 4 years ago, but I cannot find the paperwork.  It was a devil to get it inserted and my problem now is that a wind storm seems to have opened a drip path.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Ron Hill

Bob : On your 1987 C34 if it has an adjusting arm on the Vberth hatch - it is a Bomar hatch.
Have no idea of the part number
I believe that Bomar is alive and healthy - part come thru Pompanette
have no idea on the length of the Vberth hatch gasket.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 08, 2016, 12:46:48 PM
Bob : On your 1987 C34 if it has an adjusting arm on the Vberth hatch - it is a Bomar hatch.
Have no idea of the part number
I believe that Bomar is alive and healthy - part come thru Pompanette
have no idea on the length of the Vberth hatch gasket.

A few thoughts

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the update.  Here is a picture of my hatch.  No adjusting arm, but the hinges look similar.  I have talked to Catalina Direct (Lowell) and Pompanette.  I bought the current gasket 4 years ago and it held up well until the line squall I went through 3 weeks ago.  55 kts. of wind!  That night the dripping started.  Anyway, regardless of the manufacturer, the Catalina Direct part number Z2245 is the same one that is on there now so I reordered it.  It is a hassle to get on, but once installed does the trick.

Hope this helps others,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Ron Hill

Bob & All : Sometimes in 1987 production Catalina also use Lewmar "Roll Stop" Vberth hatches.

You can tell the Roll Stop because there are 4(?) notches on the hatch hinge that look almost like gear teeth.

Anyway you got it fixed and stopped leaking - that what's important!!   :clap

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788