Roller furler issue

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Roller furler has gotten harder to roll in over the past couple of years. Each year it seems to get harder to roll up. . Once I get about 1/6 of the jib in it rolls up pretty easy but to get that first 1/6 in is a real bear. Last 3-4 times we were out it was 10-15 knot winds. Turned boat into the wind and pulled with all m might and couldn't get it started. My 14 yr old daughter had to help me. It's a Cruising Design Reefer I.  Seems to unroll fine. Not sure if it's time for new one its original '86. Or maybe need service? 

Ken Juul

unfamiliar with that brand.  The bearings might need cleaning.  Check your manual or google how to.  Also check your upper swivel it might need it also.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mark_53

Wrap the fueling line around winch when that happens.

lazybone

Sounds like the line is bunching up in the drum.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

tommyt

Line bunching would be my guess if it is only at the start of furling.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

KWKloeber

Quote from: mregan on July 03, 2016, 12:24:06 PM
Roller furler has gotten harder to roll in over the past couple of years. Each year it seems to get harder to roll up. . Once I get about 1/6 of the jib in it rolls up pretty easy but to get that first 1/6 in is a real bear. Last 3-4 times we were out it was 10-15 knot winds. Turned boat into the wind and pulled with all m might and couldn't get it started. My 14 yr old daughter had to help me. It's a Cruising Design Reefer I.  Seems to unroll fine. Not sure if it's time for new one its original '86. Or maybe need service?

Take her out on a calm day when you can mess with it and not be a fire drill.  unfurled you can try to turn both the the drum and the foil by hand - and tell if the tension holding it is in the lower or upper -- then proceed accordingly.   
If it makes any sense -- if it's the lower, you will feel the tension on the drum and see/feel no torsion on the foil.   If it's the upper, the drum will start to turn easily, but there will be torsion on the foil that will stop it.  If it's never been serviced it's likely a swivel might be hung up due to age.  May or may not be able to free it up to original, but worth a try.   many many years ago i had to replace upper bearing (different model)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

garyw

hi
i have the same issue with my furler which i think is the original hood.   very hard to furl and use the winch for that purpose.  A local rigger told me no one uses these old furlers anymore and that he would recommend getting a new one.   I've tried hosing down the furler but that hasn't helped either

gary w
summer wind
catalina 34  1986

Jim Hardesty

One thing you may try is easing up on the halyard tension.  Too much makes furling harder.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Andrew Harvey

You could also try tightening the back stay
Andrew Harvey

Phil Spicer

My old Hood double line got stiff and hard to turn. Pulled it apart and found the delrin bearings worn down. Replaced all stainless and delrin bearings and all was good until the next time they got worn down. You may want to check and see if some are smaller in size.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.