Cleaning Stainless

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

What does everyone use to clean their stainless.  Have some areas that have some light rust spots, other areas I just want to polish the stainless. 

Stu Jackson

Spotless Stainless has gotten very good reviews.  I've used various ss cleaners over the years, never tat though, YET!  Some of the older ones worked better than others.  I recently found some way old ss cleaner and used it.  It's soooo old they probably don't make it anymore!   :D  Sometimes I used Never Dull which is good for getting rid of rust, followed by Collinite #85 wax or even Prism, which is a great wax especially for the metal holding up the compass.  Never Dull is always good to have on the boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

I've also used neverdull with good result.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Mre : Grocery store "Bar Keepers Friend" contains oxcylic acid which really cleans up rust spots on stainless.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

I start with Prism Polish, then follow with Starbrite Stainless Polish & Wax.

Wayne

Spotless Stainless.  Brush on, wait, rinse off.  Doesn't get much easier.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

tommyt

A second for Prism Polish. It also does a great job on fiberglass and most any metals.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Jim Hardesty

I want to chime in with Ron.  Bar Keepers Friend is a good product.  Don't let the powder (Ajax looking) fool you.  It's less abrasive than Soft Scrub.  Some power boaters in my club that take very good care of there boats use it on the non-skid decks and it looks good.  I don't need to polish stainless, Lake Erie is salt free.  I do use it on my life lines and would use it most anywhere.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

DarthOccam

+1 for Bar Keepers Friend for stainless and lifelines.  Generally, don't need a polish (abrasive) to clean stainless unless it's very bad, or wax for protection (chromium oxide layer does that).  Haven't tried Spotless Stainless, but it looks interesting for cleaning and passivating.
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Analgesic

I use Miracle Cloth which I believe got the highest rating from Practical Sailor some years back.  Available on Amazon, Ebay, works great and very easy to use.
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

mregan

Picked up a bottle of the starbrite stainless. Works really well. Polished and took off the minor rust stains. Thanks for the tip.
Forgot about the miracle cloth. Had one on my c-30. That used to work really well also.

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi,

I am firmly in the Bar Keeper's Friend camp.  However, I add a second step to make the cleaning last longer.  I coat the finished stainless with Rain-X liquid.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

tgsail1

Used Brite Boy this weekend. Very happy with it. Finished it off with some wax.