Belt adjustment on new style autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I looked at all the information from Raymarine and can't find how to adjust the belt/clutch on the new style (grey) autopilot wheel drive.  I see a knob by the motor that looks like an adjustment but don't know what to do with it.  I tried to finger adjust it but it didn't turn that easy.  So before I just guess at how to do it I'm asking.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Sailing Steve

If memory serves, there is a hex head screw in the center of that black knob.  Loosen the screw which will allow you to turn the knob to adjust the belt tension, then re-tighten the screw to hold the knob in place.  I adjust mine just enough to not slip under all but the heaviest of weather.
Steve
'90 Mk I.5 "L'Abri"
Hull# 1080

Ross Fisher

Minute adjustment is the key. A couple of clicks forward or back is sufficient. You will be surprised at how sensitive it is.
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Jim Hardesty

Thanks,  That's the way I thought it would work.  But didn't want to just-do-it.  You saved me from taking the unit apart to see how it worked.  Think the belt is too tight, I'll start by backing up 2 clicks.  Now that I know how easy it is won't hesitate to adjust on the water.
Thanks again.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA