Hatch - 2 issues

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Everyone,

Two questions about hatches:

1/ Last weekend we were in quite a blow during a line squall.  Hit 55 kts!  Boat performed well and Pat and I are safe and sound.  The only loss was the canvas hatch cover on the mid-ship hatch.  Does anyone know of a supplier of a ready-made cover? 

2/ About two years ago I installed a new gasket on the forward hatch.  It was a tight fit which never gave me satisfaction, but in the words of the Stones, gave me what I needed in a water tight seal.  That same squall, must have lifted the gasket just a tad such that a rain storm that night caused a slow drip into the V berth.  Is there a sealant I can apply to the gasket in the area of the leak so I can avoid buying another gasket?

Thanks,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

RobertSchuldenfrei

Gave up.  Bought a new gasket from Catalina Direct.
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: RobertSchuldenfrei on July 10, 2016, 05:37:32 AM
Gave up.  Bought a new gasket from Catalina Direct.

New gasket came in and with a struggle went in.  Note the tool that worked best.  BUT, it still leaked when soaked with a hose.  It was then that we noticed the hinge had cracks under under it and broken screws holding it down.  Butyl tape to the rescue! Two of the four screws are holding strong and the leak stopped.  So this project comes to a successful end.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Stu Jackson

Bob, be that a church key?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

I think West Marine sells church keys for $500. 8)
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

lazybone

Quote from: Jon W on July 18, 2016, 11:57:02 AM
I think West Marine sells church keys for $500. 8)

WM is a rip off.  I can get one from Defender for 459.00
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677