Gooseneck cotter pin shear

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

I know this has happened to others here, but it finally happened to us returning to Boston Harbor at the end of great day of sailing. Blowing 18-20 with gusts higher and Boston Harbor buzzing with ferries and recreational watercraft of all kinds on a beautiful Father's Day. When we rolled side to side from large high speed ferry wake suddenly a crash and the boom disconnects hitting the deck. I was able to lash it to the mast so I could drop the main. Upon returning to our slip, I discovered the teeny weeny cotter pin that secures the gooseneck to the boom had sheared.

Any advise on repair/replacement would be most appreciated. Alternative parts etc. Would like to get back out sailing.

Thanks
Shanagolden

mark_53

Sorry to hear of your tribulation with the gooseneck on Fathers Day. This is a topic covered in the critical updates. I replaced mine with a new much more beefy end boom fitting. I believe you can find it on Catalina Direct.

Dave Spencer

Shanagolden,
I replaced the cotter pin on my gooseneck several years ago.  It's a fairly easy fix and will only cost you a cotter pin and a bit of time to drill out the hole on the old gooseneck pin.  See reply 7 here

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7127.msg49169.html#msg49169

Or, you can get a new fixed gooseneck but it will surely take longer and it sounds like you're keen to get back out on the water quickly.  Good luck with your fix.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

Quote from: shanagolden on June 20, 2016, 07:14:37 AM
I know this has happened to others here, but it finally happened to us returning to Boston Harbor at the end of great day of sailing. Blowing 18-20 with gusts higher and Boston Harbor buzzing with ferries and recreational watercraft of all kinds on a beautiful Father's Day. When we rolled side to side from large high speed ferry wake suddenly a crash and the boom disconnects hitting the deck. I was able to lash it to the mast so I could drop the main. Upon returning to our slip, I discovered the teeny weeny cotter pin that secures the gooseneck to the boom had sheared.

Any advise on repair/replacement would be most appreciated. Alternative parts etc. Would like to get back out sailing.

Thanks
Shanagolden

if you have the wherewithal you can pin drill and pin it yourself, so it looks like this

or replace with the updated casting.

Or replace w/ cotter pin but inspect it regularly.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : If you use Ken's replacement, don't forget to apply some water resistant grease to the stainless attachment as it is going thru an aluminum casting!!   

Always lube dissimiliar metals to prevent corrosion.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 20, 2016, 02:26:32 PM
Guys : If you use Ken's replacement, don't forget to apply some water resistant grease to the stainless attachment as it is going thru an aluminum casting!!   

Always lube dissimiliar metals to prevent corrosion.

No boat (or home) should be without w/out a tube of 21030 SuperLube!! 
BTW, the PTFE SuperLube is the same product as their dielectric grease (use on boat electrical studs, connections, terminals) and I bet less boat buck$$.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

I made this upgrade as part of checking off the Critical Upgrades list before anything broke. I ordered the part from Catalina Direct. The remove and replace was simpler than I thought. Getting the part took very long, but maybe that is resolved now.

For the boom to hit the deck I'm guessing you don't have a rigid vang or boom kicker. Something to think about is this note from CD - "With the advent of rigid boom vangs, Catalina changed the design of the gooseneck. In order to reduce the load on the vang end fittings, the boom no longer rotates. The stainless stud is now fixed in the casting." I have a boom kicker so a non rotating boom is OK. Not sure if there is a concern, just passing on.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

cmainprize

I may what you need. We just did a total replacement after we damaged the mast. The parts are all sitting at th marina still. PM Me and let me know what you need before the old rig ends up in the scrap pile.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

lazybone

My boom has been seized/rusted since forever. I guess I don't need to worry about the pin? :D
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677