Deck-stepped mast leaks

Previous topic - Next topic

eisjeff

The mast on my 1996 34MKII has developed a leak. The water is running down the sides of the metal compression post.
It there a "quick fix" that I can do this summer to abate the issue then pull the mast in the fall?

Stu Jackson

Here's how it was built, at least on a C320.  Track it down.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

I get a leak down when the mast doesn't drain after a rain.  When I first got Shamrock would get water down down inside the compression post and it would slowly drain at the mast step for days after a hard rain.  When I unsteped the mast I could see that the leak was caused by the water building up inside the mast high enough to leak at the wire entrance, a few inches above the step.  There was only a small hole, about 1/8, for water to drain and got plugged with dirt.  I just increased the hole and made for a more straight flow so I could unplug with a small wire.  That fixed my leak.  If I notice water draining slowly from the mast base, I take a small wire and clean out the drain hole.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA