Seaward 2172 Hillerange Oven repairs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Knobben

Hello All,
After a new oven thermostat for my Seaward Hillerange Model 2172 oven/range
Thermocouple works fine, just cannot regulate oven temperature - only flat out or nothing.
Would be a pity to scrap the oven for a single component failure.
Where can I get spare parts to repair?
Have tried Sure Marine, but they cannot assist.

Steve McGill

Ben,

To me it sounds like the Temperature probe. I have a 19 page document that is text and illustrations for our stove,
It only covers the Seaward / Princess / Hillerange stoves manufactured prior to September 2007.

Not sure if I got it on this site or another.

I sent you a PM if interested

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ted Pounds

What do you mean by "only flat out or nothing"?  The flame to heat the oven will only run full on or off.  The thermostat (if it's working) controls the temperature by turning the flame on or off.  Same way your oven at home works...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

lazybone

Quote from: Ted Pounds on June 17, 2016, 02:50:13 PM
What do you mean by "only flat out or nothing"?  The flame to heat the oven will only run full on or off.  The thermostat (if it's working) controls the temperature by turning the flame on or off.  Same way your oven at home works...

I doubt seaward made the thermostat.  Remove the knob and face plate, the thermostat  is right behind the knob.  Check to see if there are any manufacturer numbers on it that you can Google.   If the oven hasn't been used in many years it could be that the grease in the stat has hardened.
Be mindful that the temp setpiont is adjustable. 

I've never had the seaward apart but I used to rebuild gas stove thermostats many years ago and they were all very similar.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mainesail

The old Seaward,/Hillerange/GSI ranges used mercury control valves which are no longer available. No one out there is willing to sell or build a conversion kit to modern gear (no mercury) and take on that liability. Unless you are willing to take on this conversion yourself, the range is likely done unless you can find a replacement mercury control valve or a replacement t-stat. You really need to diagnose it first but do be aware that many parts for these are no longer available. If Sure Marine does not have it , it pretty much does not exist....

On our boat I knew this about parts availability, so I preemptively (before it failed) replaced the range and was able to sell my old Hillerange as a 100% working unit. A guy needed parts and bought it for $450.00..!! 
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Ben : I'm sure that what you need is a new thermostat.  Seaward was bought out by Whale ( New Hampshire) so give them a call and tell them your problem and see what they say.  (802)367-1091

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right.  But my understanding is that Whale will NOT sell direct, so you may have to ask for their local distributor when you speak with them.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ben Knobben

Thanks for all your replies.
Ron is correct in that the thermostat is faulty for whatever reason - I will look up Whale to see if I can find an email address or will call them on the Saturday (Australia) - Friday (USA) due to the time difference. Have found out its an R C Co thermostat and Suremarine have advised no one will rebuild it.
I may have to try and find an old stove unit that is off the same type for use as spare parts - not a lot of them in Australia.
You would think there would be another brand of thermostat that could not do the same task with a bit mounting modification? - Will keep on trying to solve.
Regards Ben

lazybone

Quote from: Ben Knobben on June 20, 2016, 04:23:33 AM
Thanks for all your replies.
Ron is correct in that the thermostat is faulty for whatever reason - I will look up Whale to see if I can find an email address or will call them on the Saturday (Australia) - Friday (USA) due to the time difference. Have found out its an R C Co thermostat and Suremarine have advised no one will rebuild it.
I may have to try and find an old stove unit that is off the same type for use as spare parts - not a lot of them in Australia.
You would think there would be another brand of thermostat that could not do the same task with a bit mounting modification? - Will keep on trying to solve.
Regards Ben

Check eBay there are thousands of of old stock units for sale.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

rmbrown

Anyone have a photo of the faceplate?  My stove works like a champ but the marking are all worn off so it's a bit of a guessing game!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on March 19, 2019, 11:08:09 AM
Anyone have a photo of the faceplate?  My stove works like a champ but the marking are all worn off so it's a bit of a guessing game!

Mike,

Open the top of the stove after removing the burner grates.  Info should be "under the hood."   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rmbrown

I'm assuming you mean model number?  I've verified it's the 2172... what I'm looking for is a photo of the face plate so I can see what information used to be written in black around the knobs and buttons.  It would be useful to try to paint/draw that information back on the face plate I think.  :D
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

I found that yesterday, but it's not high enough resolution to see the markings when I zoom. :(
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Dave Spencer

Hi Mike,
Just for fun I scoured the internet looking for the image you need.  Like you, I didn't find anything that you could use.  However, I did find that the Seaward Princess 2172 was rated highly by Practical Sailor in their March 15, 1996 edition.  I don't have that but perhaps you or another C34 member has paper or electronic archives going back that far.  It's a long shot since PS was in black and white back then and even if they have a picture of your oven, the photo resolution wasn't too great.  But, it's another clue to pursue. 

Here's where I saw the Practical Sailor reference:  https://www.endeavourowners.com/dscsn/systems/galley/stove/pro2.html

Good luck with your search.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario