How does the wing keel sail?

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

Today I got a question from a gentleman looking at a c34, 2001 wing keel. " is the 34 good for coastal passages, sailing into 20 to 25 knots?"  I couldn't give him a good answer, I just sail the nasty chop on Lake Erie. How does our 34 sail up and down the coast? Can you help me a little?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Braxton

Assuming you are carrying an appropriate amount of sail then 20-25 knots won't bother a C34.    The bigger issue is what the seas would be like with that level of wind.    The boat really isn't made to pound indefinitely into large incoming seas.  Your mileage will of course vary on wind spead; wave fetch, height and length; depth of the water; skill of the sailor; etc.

I'm not sure how much the winged keel has to do with anything.   It has a tad more wetted surface and displacement but I'd think you would have to do some pretty controlled testing to see a difference in performance.     In my real world sailing experience I have never felt I had a lessor boat because we have a winged keel.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Ron Hill

I like Braxtor's answer:  Beating into 20/25 knots will be harder and wetter on the people than it will be on the vessel -- regardless of type of keel !!!   
Ron, Apache #788

Braxton

BTW:   Here are the PHRF ratings for the boats   (from PHRF New England):

CATALINA 34   150
CATALINA 34 TM   144
CATALINA 34 WK   159

So there is a difference but my relaxed attitude about course and speed probably makes a much bigger difference then the different configurations.

I am a little put out that PHRF New England doesn't deem my configuration worth mentioning (wing keel + tall mast).   I am going to assume that I'm a 153 (150 - 6 + 9).

Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

We were out on SF Bay just yesterday in 30+ knot winds with heavy wind waves on an ebb.  There were five of us coming back from a Fleet 1 cruise.  The boats handled the conditions quite well.  2 WK, 3 of us with FK.

A C34 just crossed to New Zealand.

A C34 cruised from Vancouver, BC to Mexico.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

Definitely does not point as high into the wind as a deeper fin keel.  I sailed a Newport 30 for 7 years in the NW and it was clearly able to point higher into the wind.  But I have had my wing keel Catalina since 2001.  Sailed it for 5 years in the Bahamas (summers only), from Florida to and from the islands, including the Abacos, Berry Islands, Nassau and the Exumas, and now in the Northwest with trips up to Desolation sound.  Slogging it to windward is wet either way and we reef early or even drop the main and sail comfortably with the jib.  Motored into 6 to 8' seas from the Berries to Nassau which had green water coming over the bow.  Seems like a solid boat and the wing keel got us into places that would be marginal with the fin.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

mark_53

Quote from: captran on June 07, 2016, 04:24:15 PM
Definitely does not point as high into the wind as a deeper fin keel.  I sailed a Newport 30 for 7 years in the NW and it was clearly able to point higher into the wind.  But I have had my wing keel Catalina since 2001.  Sailed it for 5 years in the Bahamas (summers only), from Florida to and from the islands, including the Abacos, Berry Islands, Nassau and the Exumas, and now in the Northwest with trips up to Desolation sound.  Slogging it to windward is wet either way and we reef early or even drop the main and sail comfortably with the jib.  Motored into 6 to 8' seas from the Berries to Nassau which had green water coming over the bow.  Seems like a solid boat and the wing keel got us into places that would be marginal with the fin.

Captran: just curious. How did you get your boat up here in the NW?  I was thinking of going the opposite way.

captran

we contacted Dudley Boat hauling after hearing they deliver the new 35's.  but this was in 2005.  It wasn't cheap, about 8,000 then.  they did a great job.  We sailed the Bahamas and kept the boat in Florida and in 04 had all those hurricanes hit fort pierce.  every boat including mine to and to the south was knocked down.  some fresh rainwater did some wood and instrument damage.  replaced all that and have been sailing the NW ever since- sheesh, this is our 12th year back.  the Bahamas is awesome, but hurricanes not so much.  they also have a float on transportation ship that stops in Vancover BC, La Paz and then Florida.  Called Dockwise if I remember correctly.  but I think it has gotten so dang expensive.  ps  sorry for the delayed response.  been getting the house ready to head off for the summer.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

eisjeff

We have owned a 1996 34 MKII with a wing keel for a year and sailing on Lake Michigan in high winds and waves has been a dream. It doesn't point quite as well as our old Catalina 30 but with the right amount of sail for the winds the boat does just fine.