Interior Varnish

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Does anyone know what kind of interior varnish is used in the Mk IIs and where it can be obtained?

David Smith, Bear Territory
Webmaster

Norris Johnson

I have that info on my boat. I'll have it next week. I think it is Interlux Satin, but I'll make sure next week.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Jon Arck

This water-soluble varnish, Oxford Satin Varnish, is available only from Target Coatings, Inc. http://www.targetcoatings.com).  Catalina referred me to them.

I bought a quart last August for $25.85, including shipping.

For the cabin sole, however, I don't want water-soluble varnish, so I use Epifanes rubbed effect varish (interior satin finish).  Great results, and it last a few years (3 coats)!

Why Catalina uses a water-soluble varnish is a mystery, because when you get leaks from the portlights or hatch (and you likely will), the varnish comes off, and the teak beneath it gets stained and is very hard to fix to look like original).  Bad idea.

I revarnished one of the cabinets beneath an opening port that had been discolored by a leak, and wasn't able ot match the original finish. Someone has recommended Mahogany finish minwax, so I'm going to try it.

regards,
Jon

Norris Johnson

Epifanes sounds right. My manual says it is a Satin finish. It doesn't mention water soluable, but I do have the same problem Jon has where rain or any water gets to some of the varnish. I won't use water base for any refinishing.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Stu Jackson

Jon's Right when he said: "Why Catalina uses a water-soluble varnish is a mystery, because when you get leaks from the portlights or hatch (and you likely will), the varnish comes off, and the teak beneath it gets stained and is very hard to fix to look like original). Bad idea."

At least you know where the leaks are!!! :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

I bought a quart of the interior varnish from Catalina.  It is VERY fast drying!  Which makes me think that's why they use it, so they can speed up production.  I found that Minwax Helmsman Matte varnish looks exactly like the original factory varnish when applied to teak.  When held next to each other, can't tell the difference.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

captran

Thanks for your input.  OK, I've looked at the web site for the target coatings.  I may try one of the other products first as I would like to know that whatever I put on is going to last, not that I anticipate this happening again.  As I look at the pics there is considerable discoloring.  The solid pieces of teak-the shelf rail, cabinet doors etc should be easy.  It is the bulkhead and other areas that have a teak faced laminent that is going to be the challenge, as the teak is likely very thin.  I am wondering about trying to lift the stain out with a steam cleaner.  I know I'd have to be careful not to overly penetrate the wood with steam.  Any thoughts?  And none of the pictures I have shows the sole, so I don't know if thats a refinish or replace issue.

Of course, it's hard to tell anything from pictures so I am anxiously awaiting her arrival in Anacortes.  She was loaded onto the truck on Thursday, but I don't think she left the boatyard until Friday, so I am hoping this coming Friday she is safely in the NW.  It is such a relief knowing she is headed away from hurricanes.  

Also, again I was put through to Kent Nelsons voice mail (at Catalina)  No response as of yet.  I did order my "mast boot"...I just hope they are correctly identifying the part I need.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

John Langford

I did quite a bit of interior revarnishing on my previous Catalina (320) and used a water based Varathane varnish with very positive results. It creates a tough finish, is compatible with the original Target varnish, can be overcoated quickly and, best of all, it has no smell. This is a huge plus if you are varnishing on board the boat. Be careful about overcoating the water based stuff with oil based varnish. I would test first.

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S