Stove Grates

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue Clancy

I have the original 2 burner Seaward CNG gimbaled stove/oven on my 1987 boat.  The top burner grates are starting to look bad (little rusty and peeling finish).  I am wondering if these can be painted?  or do I need to replace them.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

KWKloeber

Sue,

Since there's flame and not just heat, I doubt something like heat-resistant BBQ spray paint would hold up.  But, might not hurt to try if they look that bad anyway.  Another alternative is "stove black" - more like a dark gray stain (used on old tyme, cast, iron pot belly stoves), so you would need to remove all the porcelain coating down to clean metal.

You can get replacements for a mere 30 boat bucks each.
http://www.suremarineservice.com/70114-2.aspx

I put a shout out to the C30 folks to see if anyone is scraping out a stove and has the grates.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Sue Clancy

Thanks Ken,

Yes I saw those to buy but if I can avoid $30 a piece I would prefer that option.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

lazybone

Automotive exhaust manifold paint.  You can probably find it on amazon.  2200f,  easily hold up to cng flame.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Guys : The grates are coated with a ceramic.  There is no paint that I know of that will withstand a flame!!

And don't try to coat them with a ceramics coating like you use on "bisk" to be fired statues, as you'll screw up the kiln!!  Believe Me!!   :cry4`

You can also check with Seaward for new ones, but the new ones will eventually have burnt/rusty ends just like your old ones!!   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Mine look like that, too.  My choice would be Rustoleum High Heat paint.  Heck, whaddaya got to lose by trying.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

bayates

We were at the Catalina Rendezvous a couple of years should and bought the one piece grate that goes across the whole 2 burner top. Looks great and much cleaner look.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

Quote from: bayates on May 24, 2016, 09:04:17 PM
We were at the Catalina Rendezvous a couple of years should and bought the one piece grate that goes across the whole 2 burner top. Looks great and much cleaner look.

hmmmmmmm.... I wonder if a big box would carry a replacement porcelain BBQ grate that would fit the stove top?????

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

bayates, could you post a pic or link.  Would like to see how it looks.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

bayates

Will take a picture this weekend.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA