Engine Temperature

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Greg : I disagree that you need to open the "radiator" cap to ever check the coolant - after it is filled and you use an expansion tank.  You have installed a coolant recover system and all you need to do is look at the bottle, hose to examine the level.  (Just like your auto's coolant system)
I used a clear hose from the engine coolant reservoir (that has the radiator cap) into the bottle.  You just make sure that that hose is to the bottom of the bottle (3-4 inches of fluid), below the fluid level and no bubbles in the hose.

I used a black wire tie to attach it to the port side of the engine compartment and that tie also served as my level marker.  Also make an angled cut on the hose that goes into the bottle - so you can't in-adherently cause suction of the hose to the bottom or side of the bottle.

I never opened that cap until I changed out the fluid every 5/6? years.   If you need to add fluid -- then something is happening and you'll need to find out where the fluid is disappearing to!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

In past I had some wandering temp numbers that was seemingly cured when I replaced the engine panel (for other reasons) and butt connected all the wires, engine to harness. Before doing that however, based on advise from folks on this forum, I got a laser temp reader and monitored the temp when running though some test conditions. At least it gave me some peace of mind, as well as direction that my problem was electrical, not mechanical.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

ghebbns

Just to finalize this discussion, I believe the level of coolant was the problem.  I moved the boat from Chester to Halifax yesterday.  Due to lack of wind and an abundance of fog, we sailed or motor/sailed the entire way - approximately 8 hours.  The temperature never varied from 165.  I even double checked with a laser thermoter and it verified the gauge reading.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

ghebbns

Just as one issue is fixed, another one pops up.  Returned Sabbatica to her home port yesterday.  Winds were more favorable for the return trip so only had to motor the first 3.5 hours or so.  No temperature problem at all - 165 all the way.

Did an inspection of the boat today and noticed that the coolant reserve tank I installed was almost empty.  Read as many posts on here as possible and looked for possible leaks.  I found the missing coolant in the rear bilge section (under the water heater).  Ran the engine for 15-20 minutes to look for the leak but couldn't see anything.  Will try to go out for a longer motor tomorrow and see what I can find.

I am wondering if finding the antifreeze in the bilge eliminates certain potential sources of the problem.  I am thinking the hot water heater is the likely cause but any other suggestions of places to look? 

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Stu Jackson

Quote from: ghebbns on July 02, 2016, 04:28:34 PM

I am wondering if finding the antifreeze in the bilge eliminates certain potential sources of the problem.  I am thinking the hot water heater is the likely cause but any other suggestions of places to look? 

Have you checked the Critical Upgrades?  Reply #1, page 1.  The hoses from the engine to the heater?  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg31079.html#msg31079
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Greg : To help you track down that leak here's what I would do: 

Take a fuel spill diaper and cut it to size and place it under the engine to catch any drippings.

Take the other piece of diaper and place it on the hull by the water heater to catch any tell tale drippings that may come from the engine water heater hoses.  Good luck

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

So I have not been able to track down the leak, but therre definately is a problem.  I have examined the engine while underway and there is no sign of any leaks.  I do find, however, that after awhile there are some green drops directly under the engine.  Obviously the coolant is being splattered from somewhere.  Very small amounts - less than a tablespoon.  I am thinking the leak is very small and that is why I can't observe it.  Given the location of the drops, does anyone have an idea when the problem may be?

Thanks
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ed Shankle

Hard to say where it could be from due to the many possibilities. After running the engine like you normally do, try dabbing under each hose connection on the heat exchanger, engine, coolant tank, overflow reservoir, etc with a paper towel. A wet spot should ID your source.
Good luck,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Quote from: ghebbns on July 21, 2016, 02:49:54 PM
So I have not been able to track down the leak, but therre definately is a problem.  I have examined the engine while underway and there is no sign of any leaks.  I do find, however, that after awhile there are some green drops directly under the engine.  Obviously the coolant is being splattered from somewhere.  Very small amounts - less than a tablespoon.  I am thinking the leak is very small and that is why I can't observe it.  Given the location of the drops, does anyone have an idea when the problem may be?

Thanks

Are you still finding lass than a Tbs?  If so is the overflow tank/exhaust manifold reservoir emptying ot staying full?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Greg : Do you have a coolant bottle that is catching the expansion? - or just letting it drip out the overflow hose??

Ron, Apache #788