New Traveler - WOW!

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Just installed our new Garhaer Traveler - WOW!

During the upgrade, Peggy assisted by sliding the new Garhauer traveler glide onto the old Traveler bar.

I held the delivery bar in place and Peggy slide the new glide onto the the old bar. Having been unable to move the traveler with any ease over the past year, despite lubricating the glide and the sheaves, the new glide slid with so much ease that it virtually floated across the bar.

Today I completed the install. I had custom ordered the traveler to include turning blocks so that the control lines could be led aft alongside the other sail control lines, to the cockpit.

The new traveler is simply amazing! It's a breeze to operate from the cockpit, in fact the lines are long enough to be controlled from the helm.

Thanks to the other forum members that suggested the turning block rather than have the line run through additional holes in the dodger.

Here's a link to my blog showing the upgrade.
http://www.sailingeximius.com/2016/05/new-traveller-done.html

We're going to test it out on the water tomorrow, Sunday, during a day sail in preparation for participation in a race next weekend.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

And today we got to test it out under load!

Dang, it makes an incredible difference! Adjusting the traveler position in winds about 15knots was a one handed event and even Peggy could manage it.

The two control lines reach back to the helm, but as Peggy can adjust it, there's not normally any need for them to go back that far. However, if I were single handing (Peggy below) then the lines at the helm would be an easy way to adjust the traveler in gusts/falls.

This has been the mod that has made so much of a difference that it might be the best mod yet!

https://youtu.be/PLDewGVHj5w

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

SPembleton

What did you use to lube your old traveler.  Improbably should do mine. Thanks for the reminder.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

britinusa

Tried WD40, and One Touch.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

mregan

Looks good.  I'm getting excited to try my new one out in a couple weeks.  I replaced the bar also.

Do you have a Doyle Stack Pack?  How do you like it, was thinking of getting one.  With my wife and kids aboard I'm usually dropping and stowing the main myself.  The pack would make it much easier.

britinusa

I'm on the fence about the Doyle Stack Pack (we have the Supersails Cradle Cover - same thing)

The new sail dropped like a rock after I lubed the mast track, but the sail still has to be closed up into the cover.

Bob Schuldenfrei has the Mack Stack Pack and there are several features that are better than the Cradle Cover.
.. The top zip has a continuous line so that it can be opened or closed from any point along the boom. That's so good that I'm going to implement it on our cover.

.. The Mack Pack leading edge has twist locks that secure it to the mast, the Cradle cover has a separate cover that wraps around the mast with a zip on each side. So I have to go forward to put that back in place after stowing the sail.

.. The Cradle cover lazy jacks: I just don't seem to be able to adjust them so that the bag lays right. I keep trying different line layouts, will probably get it right soon.

.. The lower edge of the cradle cover is closed along most of the boom length. We always have a pool of water that drains out when raising the sail after a rain. This weekend I raised the end of the boom with the topping lift higher than normal hoping that will prevent the rain collection.

Never seen any pros/cons about the Mack Stack Pack so cannot comment on that.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

mregan

Thanks, I'll take a look a the Mack Stack also.

Brad Young

on your forward turning. did you just screw them into the hatch or did you somehow get a backing plate on them?
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Sweet!  Nice job.

Reminds me to remind all:

TRAVELER TRACKS should be rebedded as part of normal ROUTINE maintenance, like chainplates.

When I replaced our dorade vents over ten years ago, I wrote a Tech Note about it (August 2005).  Part of the work was prompted by a leak below the port dorade.  After replacing them both, the leak persisted.  Rebedding the traveler track fixed it.

I just redid it last month with butyl tape. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Good question Brad.  I'm adding a turning block forward this spring and I have the same question.

Paul,
How did you secure the loops for the forward turning blocks on your traveller.  Were you able to add a a backing plate or did you just screw the loop into the spray hood (or the teak trim piece).

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

britinusa

Yep, just screwed into the teak at the side of the cabin slider.

The tension on the line is really light even under heave weather loading.

I made the lines long enough that I can lay them over the pedestal guard and thus reach them for adjustment while at the helm.

Great mod.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : Wait until you install a ridged boom vang and you'll get another WOW!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 12, 2017, 02:54:55 PM
Paul : Wait until you install a ridged boom vang and you'll get another WOW!!

A thought

Want to share the advantages of the ridged boom vang (and links)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

ridged - those corrugated thingies that live somewhere on the boat, used to be used in cartons to hold that very necessary beer

rigid - great vangs with superior purchase compared to a four part soft vang, keeps the boom up and/or down, can eliminate the topping lift
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I believe "Ruffles Have Ridges", too! 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig