Thank you to Ron Hill

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Holmes

Ron- thanks for a great write up on the rudder modification.  I have finally completed this project, and it went well following your notes.  Admittedly I had my brother the shipwright on the phone a couple of times for technical guidance.  I chose to do the work with the rudder installed, as you did.  The only change was to use epoxy instead of polyester resin.  And due to being in a Canadian spring, I built a simple blue tarp enclosure, and used a heat gun to kick the epoxy.  Now I can't wait to launch and see how it feels.

Thank you again for your many contributions. :clap
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Ron Hill

Joe : Thanks for the complement.

The rudder will be a bit heavier, but manageable.  No more uncontrollable heading up into the wind!!  Just remember that Gerry Douglas took care of the additional mechanical advantage for the elliptical rudder on the Mk II by installing a 42 inch wheel (over our 34 inch wheel on the MK I).

My 1st Mate was all worried that my addition to make the rudder elliptical, might come off.  She felt better when I reminded her that it was an addition and if it did come off - the original rudder was still there!!

Great job - epoxy/polyester resin = same same.     
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Without a doubt, Ron Hill is the Catalina Diamond of the C34IA forum. His compendium of knowledge, helpful hints, and overall willingness to help is second to none! For me, Ron has saved me thousands of dollars in repair cost alone. I nominate him for the C-34 Piece Prize!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

And in addition to all that, he has a great sense of humor   :clap
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bill Asbury

Hear!  Hear!  Ron deserves many thank yous for his decades of contributions to this forum!
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay