Need advertisements for 1986 boats - time sensitive

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Now that I have received my BC province license, I have to formally import my boat into Canada.  Because the licensing agency doesn't talk to CPB, they issued the license without checking to see if I'd paid the import tax.  The border agent let me back into Canada yesterday (Saturday) but gave me only 48 hours to pay the import tax before I'd get fined!!!  All this time I thought because I'd received the license that I'd have time to get some comps without time pressure.

Accordingly, I'd appreciate your help to be able to assemble a few "comparatives" for the price of a used 1986 Catalina 34, because I need some supporting advertisements to show them what I feel is the real value of a 32 year old boat.

What I need includes:

1.  The lowest price possible.  Doesn't even matter if the boat is a wreck (as long as the ad doesn't say that).  :D  It doesn't matter where the boat is located.

2.  I need a COPY of the ad that says the normal stuff, but it must include the year and asking price (unless you have access to actual selling prices which might be lower). "1986 Catalina 34, $xy,000," and any other details.

3.  To widen the possibilities, I'd consider a 1987 boat, too, but 1986 would be better.  The newer the boat the higher the price usually is.

4.  If you have sold your 1986 boat and are still hanging around this forum, please let me know what you sold it for.

I'll check the For Sale section here, too.

Easiest way for you to get me this info is to send me an email with an embedded or attached copy of the actual ad (mraquaq@aol.com).  Just an email text telling me your sales story will NOT, unfortunately, work for my use with the govt tax folks.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu

When I needed comps, I used yachtworld and NADA.
Unfortunately I no longer have access to the SOLD listings (though brokers normally don't list the actual sale price anyway; it isn't in their or sellers interests.)

YW lists only one 1986 in PNW; 40k. I sent it.

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 04, 2018, 11:32:23 AM

YW lists only one 1986 in PNW; 40k. I sent it.

K

Thanks Ken, doesn't need to be in the PNW, anywhere will do.  Usually the further south the less expensive from my experience.

Dave Spencer has also sent me some.  The more the merrier.  The lower the price the better, too.  :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jon W

Hi Stu, If the "share" feature worked like it's supposed to I sent several adds to you from Yachtworld and Boat Trader. There are a couple more low dollar listings on Sailboat Listings.com, but didn't find a share link. Good luck.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Jon,

Thanks, I received them.  Much appreciated.

Jeff Tancock

Hi Stu,
I saw an ad in 48 North for a C34, I think an '87 for $39K US.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Stu Jackson

Thanks to all who helped.  I have three listings from the links sent my way.  No further input required.  We're off to Nanaimo soon.  I'll report back when "they're through with me!"   :D

britinusa

I hope the tariff war does not impact your transaction!

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Dave Spencer was kind enough to send me a bunch of listing links to actual advertisements.  Many of them were $25K and below.  Not something most of us want to hear, but in this case not only useful, but fair for the purpose.  Heck, if I had to get a replacement 1986 C34, I would have to search for one with as low a price as I could find, given my lack of income!!! :D  It would be a project boat, but at least I know what to and how to fix 'em.

Dave wrote:     "If you can bring in more than one advertisement including some for newer boats that logically would be worth more, you should be on solid ground."

I replied: "That worked.  I used the 18, 20.5 and 22, and Officer Ford didn't blink once.  She asked me, "What do you think a fair market value for your boat is?"  I unhesitatingly pointed to the 20.5 and she agreed!!! ... I think the 20.5 was for an 88 boat, which my wife pointed out."

I asked him: "I'm wondering how you were able to find these listings.  I hadn't, over the course of the last year, been able to find anything even in the high 20s.  Maybe just available in the new year?  In any event, thanks for your quick turnaround, too."

He replied: 

I don't recall how I came across some of the listings but I know I accumulated an impressive array of broker and "boat for sale" websites when we were searching for our C34 in 2009.   I recall then we were about to take a road trip to Whitehall and Holland, Michigan to look at a couple of C34s I saw on Yachtworld when my friend mentioned he saw one for sale in Wiarton, only about 20km from our home port of Lion's Head.  We went, we saw, we liked and we bought.  I asked the PO where he had the boat listed and he gave me one of the sites I sent to you. http://www.ablboats.com/search.php  Although I was actively looking, I'd never seen or heard of that site before and if I hadn't bookmarked it, I wouldn't haven't heard of it since. 
I suspect the C34s listed at really low prices all have soft decks or have been neglected in some way. I was very surprised to see a C34 priced in the $20s USD.  I don't worry too much about the "going price" of our boat since she is definitely not for sale! 

Neither is Aquavite!   :thumb:

Dave also added: "Thanks for all you do for us C34 owners.  The C34 forum is my favourite site by far and the discussions are helpful and almost always courteous... well, ALMOST always  ;-)."

That's what's so nice about this community. 

Thanks again to Dave and the rest who helped me out, big time.

Ekutney

I bought my 1986 in Jan 2016 for $26K, email if you would like me to send copy of sales docs.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Ed.

The "voting" is closed.  :clap Deal is done.  :thumb:

Mark Sutherland

Stu, I sold my '86 last June for 44k.  Probably not the number you were hoping for.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170