Time for a New House

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

New House Batteries!

Pretty sure our old house batteries (4x6v Golf Cart Batteries) are fried.

Not sure what this item is, obviously some kind of sensor, but is it for the regulator or is it a temp sensor.

I'm going to the boat on Friday and will compare the wiring diagram with the real world.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

SPembleton

I am also replacing my house battery. Not sure what that red thing is.

I found what looks like a good deal at Batteries Plus.  It a duracell Group 24m 800cca for $95. 10% off with coupon if you start to pay through their website (dont need to actially buy it, just get the code and tell the people at the store.) and another $10 mailin rebate.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

britinusa

Looks like those duracell Group 24m 800cca are 12v  :cry4`

Best I have seen so far are from Sams Club, but they are not available in Florida  :?

We'll be on the boat this weekend, so pulling the old ones out will wait to Monday. Meanwhile I'll be checking that the 0-1-2-B switch is setup as a 'Use' selector rather than a charging selector. I've spent hours reading the forum and feel that I'm getting a grip on the concepts. I don't want to toss $400 on new batteries only to fry them because the setup is inappropriate.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on April 20, 2016, 02:24:24 PM
Not sure what this item is, obviously some kind of sensor, but is it for the regulator or is it a temp sensor.

Neither.

Open it up!

It allows one to add some small connectors to a battery stud.

Old school "technology" - these days we use buss bars.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Hmmm! Of course it's going to be fun tracing the wire to the other end.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Blue wire?  Most likely the always on bilge pump.  Tracing should be easy on our boats.  Worst case, disconnect it and see what doesn't work.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

britinusa

Update,
house batteries are fried - barely hold a charge above 12v for 1 hour, cases are bulging (hope I can get them out without surgery)

Got the new batteries from Batteries Plus $85 each (plus core charge & tax) not as painful as I expected in Florida.

Reviewed wiring diagram and physical layout - need to update the diagram to match the real world.
The system has the following electronic components

• Freedom 20 Charger / Inverter
  • Heart Interface LINK 200-R
  • Ideal Regulator Output Module 12/24v
  • Incharge 3 stage Regulator
  • Blue Sky Solar Boost 25Amp MPPT Solar Controller

House Battery Set is 4 6v Golf Cart Batteries and 1 12v Start Battery

There is an Off - 1 - All - Two battery selector and a Start Master switch

Here's a link to a Photo Album showing the equipment.
https://goo.gl/photos/Mzg3SgRhtemVSTSm6

I do not see a Galvanic Isolator installed on the boat - So I'm looking
Any suggestions on choice - I found http://www.yandina.com and http://www.yandina.com/acrobats/GalvOwnManual.pdf

I'm in the process of looking at all of the documents that came with the boat trying to identify which shows the most up to date wiring diagram or if they are all just wish lists.

On Wednesday I'll follow the wires for the Off - 1 - All - 2 switch and see if I can identify the Alternator rating (any hints on what to look for)

Paul

ps. I hope this does not turn into a thread as long as John's!  :?

ps. Thanks Stu et.al. for the well documented reports that at least got me thinking I needed to dig into this issue before just replacing the batteries.

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on April 24, 2016, 02:44:07 PM

• Freedom 20 Charger / Inverter
    • Heart Interface LINK 200-R
    • Ideal Regulator Output Module 12/24v
    • Incharge 3 stage Regulator
    • Blue Sky Solar Boost 25Amp MPPT Solar Controller

With the Freedom I/C you face the very same challenge I had in 1998:  single output alternator and single output I/C.  When I installed our Freedom 15, I also put in a Yandina combiner for the reserve bank.

I'm guessing you're in for some heavy reading of the  Electrical Systems 101 topic.  My wiring diagram is in there, too.  And that you've started a wiring diagram or two.  :D

Ask away.

Ron Hill

Paul : The best deals on Duracell batteries used to be at Sam's Club.  You might want to check it out!! 

A thought
    Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

We're Sam's club members, but they do not have them available in Florida. (Probably some political reason ;)

I got the old batteries out today, one of them was literally boiling, I could hear the bubbling when I removed the battery.

I'll return the old bats on Wednesday (I left the receipt aboard today) Meanwhile, I'm cleaning up the battery bay, all of the terminal ends and labeling them correctly. At least I have confirmed the the #1 bank is the house bank :)

I'm going to modify the battery restraint system, it's totally overkill, good but far more than is needed to keep the batteries in place during a turtle event.

Paul
    Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Jon W

Hopefully my thread covered most questions so you have a quicker time of it. :clap. What is the "ENGEL" circuit breaker on the panel for?
    Jon W.
    s/v Della Jean
    Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
    San Diego, Ca

britinusa

The PO had an Engel cooler type fridge/freezer that he kept in the Aft Berth. The switch is now used to control the AIS power.
    (I installeda NMEA 2000 Network and the AIS almost fell into it. Easy Peasy Install)

Paul
    Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Dang!

The Admiral caved and said it would be ok to blow the budget and get both a Galvanic Isolator & ACR. So I ordered both on Amazon basically because they could be here Friday giving me time to get the install done prior to our 10 day trip next week to the Keys.

Chatting off line with Ken Klober on another subject, I found out I could have ordered them through him at a lower price so even with the shipping it would have been a few dollars less than Amazon.

I have an affinity for doing business with folks that share my passion for sailing boats. Especially those that are really helpful here in the forum.

Ken has helped me on several issues, including provisioning of our Smart Plug and some special cable for use on the Boat's 110v electrical system.

This is my way of saying thanks Ken! I'll call you next time before I hit the Buy Now button on Amazon.

Paul
    Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

:oops:

You're welcome as always, Paul.  Glad to help with your upgrades!

kk
    Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
    So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
    Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain