3 Bladed fixed propellers

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

I am ready to change the noisy, rattling folding 2 blade prop on my boat. I am looking for better performance in reverse in tight spaces as well as doing away with the lag forward to reverse and vice versa. Does anyone have experience  using the 15x10 prop from Catalina Direct?  Or is there a better source?
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Ken Juul

The factory is almost always less expensive than CD
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ken Juul on April 18, 2016, 07:59:36 AM
The factory is almost always less expensive than CD

And anything except low cost, fast-moving items are drop-shipped -- which is perfectly ok -- but you're paying a premium (markup on every-day retail.)

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mark_53

Quote from: Robert Mann on April 17, 2016, 07:37:59 PM
I am ready to change the noisy, rattling folding 2 blade prop on my boat. I am looking for better performance in reverse in tight spaces as well as doing away with the lag forward to reverse and vice versa. Does anyone have experience  using the 15x10 prop from Catalina Direct?  Or is there a better source?

As others have said, probably less expensive options for props but with CD, your paying for their research. What you buy will most likely work with your boat. I recently bought a volt meter from CD. Other options were to buy from Amazon but CD matched up very well with existing instruments.

Robert Mann

Thanks for the input.  I have received a quote for both the 2 and 3 bladed props from the factory, the latter being a 15x9.  There have been a few threads over the years about re-pitching the props to 15x10 with the M35B engine.  I am not sure (haven't asked the question yet) if the factory will supply a 15x10 for the 1" shaft.  If not then CD or Michigan Wheel seem like options, albeit not the most frugal ones.  I know both Stu and Ron have written on this topic before and I need to find those strings, before I under pitch the prop.  I only want to pull the boat once this summer and replace the PSS drip-less and the prop.

Ron Hill

Robert : Don't expect the factory to have anything in a 3 bladed fixed prop, but a 15" X 9".

I've written a number of Mainsheet tech note articles on the prop pitch.  Basically the factory (on a C34) has held fast to the 3 bladed 15"X9" prop although the engines have gone from a 21hp, 23hp, 30hp to a 35hp !!   Don't ask why???

I'd repitch from 9" to 11" for a M35BC.  Just make sure that the repitch is done by a shop with "Prop Scan" 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Robert Mann

Hi Ron, I will go for 15x10 Sailor type prop.  I'm just looking for a good source, I agree with your view on the factory.  I have a price from CD, and I'm still shopping.  I have to replace the PSS dripless bellows and clamps as well, so its going to be a spendy haul out.

Noah

BTW- There is a difference between a Michigan Sailer fixed 3-blade and a Campbell Sailer fixed 3-blade prop . Make sure you are purchasing the one you expect.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Robert : AMEN !! to Noah's post.   :thumb:

A Michigan Wheel "sailor" looks nothing like and preforms differently than the "Sailor" prop from Catalina

So be where !! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Robert Mann

So this draws the famous whats best option for the C34 Mk2 with M35B engine.  Michigan wheel M series or a Campbell Sailor design?  Ron you recommend pitching to 11", did you pitch yours at 10" or 11"?  I don't want to get the engine too heavily loaded by getting too greedy on the pitch. 

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Robert Mann

Thanks Noah, good material.  I was in contact with West by North today and they size the Campbell Sailer prop at 14 x 8.  They consider their 15 x 9 would overload the M35B.  Does any one have experience of the CS props and t heir relative diameter and pitch comparisons to the Catalina supplied 15 x 9?

KWKloeber

Quote from: Robert Mann on April 20, 2016, 06:55:43 PM
Thanks Noah, good material.  I was in contact with West by North today and they size the Campbell Sailer prop at 14 x 8.  They consider their 15 x 9 would overload the M35B.  Does any one have experience of the CS props and t heir relative diameter and pitch comparisons to the Catalina supplied 15 x 9?

Bob,

No personal experience but have read several articles and user reviews and the CS Sailer gets high kudos.  The more efficient blade design allows for a smaller footprint and less sailing drag.  You can see how much metal is removed from the flow area.  Walk is comparable to the traditional.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Robert : I pitched my three bladed sailor prop to 11" for an M25XP (23 hp).
When I changed engines (12? years & 5000 hrs later) to an M25XPB (26hp)  the 11" pitch even was better.

I surely would recommend 11" for a 35hp M35BC engine.!!

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

sail4dale

flex o fold   15 x 10 was great on my boat .....
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)