0ld electronics integrated ???

Previous topic - Next topic

boblin

my 1988 has the original knot meter, depth, and wind gauges  I believe they are Auto Helm ST60. It also has an GPS that has a some what detailed map wise monitor in the cabin and gives lat. and long. at the helm (isn't working) . The Knot and depth are on one gauge and work well the wind meter is out for repair. My question is are these all stand alone gauges. I would like to update the GPS but I don't know if removing the old GPS would effect the other gauges if they are somehow integrated. It also has the original auto helm that works fine.

Thanks

Bob

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on April 17, 2016, 06:59:44 PM
It also has an GPS that has a some what detailed map wise monitor in the cabin and gives lat. and long. at the helm (isn't working) .

Sounds like the gps is integrated, 'eh?  If it reports to the helm.
integrating new equipment with old systems is sometimes a problem.  Different standards.  But if you have the new gps stand alone no problem.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

boblin

Hey Ken, what I meant by "at the helm" was there is a GPS display in the group of gauges mounted in front of the wheel that can be seen
when you're at the helm. It doesn't work and even if it did I would like to replace it with a newer more modern chart Plotter. Just worried that removing it would somehow effect the the other functions if it is indeed part of an integrated system.

Thanks

Bob

KWKloeber

But the gps is at the nav station, no?  <<It also has an GPS that has a some what detailed map wise monitor in the cabin and gives lat. and long. at the helm (isn't working) >>

Is (or was when working) the display at the helm just a repeater of the L/L, etc, and the GPS is below?  Or are you saying these are two totally different data sources?  My guess is that the brain is below (does the mapping and position work below?) and the helm a repeater, but need more info.  Regardless, did you want the new GPS/Chart Plotter integrated, or happy if it were stand alone data?

We had a Ray chartplotter added to an existing ST60 system and it integrated well - had WiFi, so the CP display could be seen/controlled anywhere from a pad or phone.  The resident electronics geek "tactician" talked the owner into what he bought.   It "worked" well but caution that -- JTSO -- it was one of -- or THE MOST -- dysfunctional brains I have ever seen (especially for club racing.)  The screens were terrible, user unfriendly, and it took 15-min to set a course, because you cannot project a WP or a route from a current location (say while running the start line or a MOB set) or from a known point (say a fixed club mark) or by anything that makes sense.  You have to enter the new point as L/L to set a course.  With install it was the owner's multi-thousand dollar mistake, and he never used it and sold the boat 2 yrs later.  I'd take my old handheld over that was user friendly and had a number of options for setting points and courses over that (cr*p) any day.  So be cautious and fully check out functionality before committing.

Others' mileage may vary on this, but We talked to the reps and they confirmed the uselessness of the route entry method(s.)

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

boblin

Yeah Ken,  I'm sure its a repeater with limited info like lat&long. I Don,t know how they set up instruments back in the day hence my concern I don.t want to rip out the GPS and find that my Knot, Wind and Depth don,t work any more because they were somehow integrated to the GPS. Tried calling Ray Marine, got the computer dance and then disconnected after a few minuets

As usual thanks 

Bob

mark_53

Quote from: boblin on April 18, 2016, 02:53:53 PM
Tried calling Ray Marine, got the computer dance and then disconnected after a few minuets

Bob

Bob, try the Raymarine support forum, they were very helpful with my autopilot install.

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on April 18, 2016, 02:53:53 PM
Yeah Ken,  I'm sure its a repeater with limited info like lat&long. I Don,t know how they set up instruments back in the day hence my concern I don.t want to rip out the GPS and find that my Knot, Wind and Depth don,t work any more because they were somehow integrated to the GPS. Tried calling Ray Marine, got the computer dance and then disconnected after a few minutes

As usual thanks

Bob

I believe, but am not 100%, that disconnecting a GPS won't affect the other displays.  I believe that they pick off signals running along the SeaTalk cable as they can use them.  I presume that the GPS is a Garmin or other, fed to SeaTalk via a  NMEA 0183 protocol?

Ken 

Jim Hardesty

Bob,
My radio is connected to my gps for the distress calling.  I think new radios have built in gps so it's only my radios generation that are connected.  If you don't have the red button for distress you don't have to think about this.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mick Laver

Bob,
I can't imagine why removing the GPS would have any effect on the other instruments. Have you tried just turning the GPS off?

Chances are the wind, depth, speed, and autopilot are connected by Raymarine's old SeaTalk cabling. It works, and it'll integrate well with any new Ray chartplotter if you decide to go that way. Another vendor's GPS or chartplotter would be a bit more problematic but definitely doable.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA