Refinishing Ash Paneling

Previous topic - Next topic

George Bean

So the good news it is raining this winter in California.  The bad news is I discovered a leak in the aft stateroom that has run down the "ash" (?) paneling and discolored it. Has anybody removed this paneling to restore/refinish it?  If so what was the refinishing product and any helpful tips would be most appreciated.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Stu Jackson

We have some staining in our galley from a PO leak at the stanchion base where the water vent for the starboard tank occurred.  ITWMB, I'd lightly sand the affected area down to bare wood and find an appropriate stain at a hardware store.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : if you do like Stu suggested and sand out the stain (you might also have to use some bleach); use some Light Pine "Min Wax" polyurethane to the ash batten and it's a perfect match.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

George Bean

Thanks for the tips!  This weekend I'm going to see if I can remove the entire panel so I can take it home for refinishing.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Ron Hill

George : I've never removed the ask strips, but I believe they are in strips and not in a panel!  :?:
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

On the 30, H&L told me that they supplied "Ash Batten Plywood" - which was their 1/8" thick battens glued to 1/8" plywood (attached.)   
Might be the same on the 34.

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain