Bomar Salon Hatch Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

I pulled off the main hatch yesterday which the PO had siliconed shut and is in pretty tough shape. I went to replace it with http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290149|2290150&id=48247 which, after many reading many posts, I thought was correct. The original is a higher profile than the replacement, but also also has a smoother radius on the corners. It covers the opening but the corners are closer than I would like. 
Defender lists the Bomar model I purchased as N1070-10P. The only 16.5 square I can find on the Pompanette web site is the 2070-10AX https://www.pompanette.com/BigSummit/pomp.nsf/0/CD47BC7D6912276685257795008055D0?Open.
Is the 2070 the correct one for the 1986 #206?
I may bring it in tomorrow to look at reconditioning but the frame is pretty nasty and I would much prefer to replace it.
Thanks for your advice!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Could it be a #189?
Is it a cast frame?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dave : I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes on replacing the center cabin hatch with a Bomar replacement.
The replacement Bomar worked and fit just fine, however I'd recommend that you replace the center hatch with Lewmar.  I believe that the factory started using Lewmar center hatches about 1992?

I say Lewmar is better because the Lewmar hatch has the friction to adjust opening to the frame.  Bomar has the adjustment arm into the fragile lens!!  I later checked and the radius is the same for both hatches.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

DaveBMusik

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 17, 2016, 02:05:26 PM
Could it be a #189?
Is it a cast frame?

kk

KK I don't see 189 on their site. I do believe the frame is cast.Could it be a 170?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Quote from: DaveBMusik on April 17, 2016, 03:10:15 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on April 17, 2016, 02:05:26 PM
Could it be a #189?
Is it a cast frame?

kk

KK I don't see 189 on their site. I do believe the frame is cast.Could it be a 170?

dave I don't have the catalog link for it.. It was in another series.  200 maybe?  Just check down the product list.
The frame is heavy cast in a mold not stamped an d formed.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Dave, here's what I did:

http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/html/2013/Bomar%20hatch%20rebedding.htm

I don't know about your replacement numbers, but the photos in this link oughta show you what's underneath.

I find it always helpful to provide links, since so many of us have written so much over the years.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 17, 2016, 07:25:43 PM
Dave, here's what I did:

http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/html/2013/Bomar%20hatch%20rebedding.htm

I don't know about your replacement numbers, but the photos in this link oughta show you what's underneath.

I find it always helpful to provide links, since so many of us have written so much over the years.

Good luck.

Thanks Stu! Links are helpful. I have so many projects in the works and have read so many posts, it can be confusing for the newbie.

Yours came out nice and I do believe we have the same hatch. I spoke to Bomar, the model is #C170 for anyone else in the future. Price  was $1,078. 

I'm heading down to Hatchmasters in Norwalk, CT to have them take a look at reconditioning. Life is hectic and time is short. What else is new...

I have the old frame off, the deck cleaned up. I plan to sand the gelcoat a bit to remove traces of silicone and then use Maine Sail's Butyl.

How did Butyl on the screws work out? I've been going back and forth whether to bother to pot them or not
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT