Cup Holder Woes

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

Greetings:
Installing a single angle pedestal guard with Navpod now makes it impossible to slip the cup holder over the top of the guard. Has anyone encountered this issue before and what solution did you come up with using the old cup holder?

Stu Jackson

Mark, there are lots of cup holders.  Got a picture?  Ours is a teak one that I used metal U's to simply bolt it on.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 06, 2016, 10:10:50 AM
Mark, there are lots of cup holders.  Got a picture?  Ours is a teak one that I used metal U's to simply bolt it on.
Mine is teak also.  I thought of the u-bolts but was looking for an easily removable solution since my helm cover doesn't come down that far.  How about cutting the steel bar in half and adding a luggage type clasp?

Ken Juul

How about using the plastic hinged rail clamps like used on stern perch seats.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--plastic-rail-clamps--5142070

I've seen them with knobs instead of screw heads.

Think you can probably find them cheaper than at WM
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Mark : You can make your own cup holders.

Take a slice of a 3" PVC pipe and glue a 3" end cap on the bottom.  Then bolt a 1" rail mount clamp to it and clamp it on the push-pit rail or clamp it on the pedestal guard.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ken Juul on April 06, 2016, 01:17:11 PM
How about using the plastic hinged rail clamps like used on stern perch seats.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--plastic-rail-clamps--5142070

I've seen them with knobs instead of screw heads.

Think you can probably find them cheaper than at WM

Worst Marine used to carry the quick release (thumb screw) model, but discontinued them (I got mine on clearance and they even searched other stores and shipped the remaining stock to my store so I could snatch 'em up!)

But you can get them here...

http://www.seastow.com/rail-clamps.html

Cheers,
kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Phil Spicer

Mark : Have used these clamps for 20 years.Fastened them to the back of the cup holder. Easy on & off. When the old wheel cover needed replaced, we made a new one that would fit over the cup holder. Now it never moves. The down side, costs more than PVC pipe. Up side,  it's quick. If you want clamps, type "Marine rail clamps" for 100's of hits. Look for a good price.
   Just my thoughts
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

What I would lean to if it were mine and wanted a quick-install/remove, would be to fashion a stainless Z bracket, and mount one to each upright.  For on the back of the teak, fashion two U brackets that slip over the 2 Z brackets.  Kinda like brackets that might hold one end of a saloon table to a bulkhead.

Kinda like these but not really (but similar mounting idea.)  A narrower Z on the pedestal guard, and a U on the teak, not a complete clip like these

Come to think of it (I do this a lot AFTER opening my mouth) it could be made of just flat stock -- 1/8" thick x 1" wide (McMaster-Carr)  - if you're handy with a hacksaw and file (or a dremel) and a drill. 

The guard upright side being spaced away 1/8" from the tubing 1/8" using washers or a section of the stock underneath, and the U side spaced away from the teal 1/8" w/ washers or doubling up the stock.   I could do a sketch.

kk

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mark_53 on April 06, 2016, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 06, 2016, 10:10:50 AM
Mine is teak also.  I thought of the u-bolts but was looking for an easily removable solution since my helm cover doesn't come down that far.  How about cutting the steel bar in half and adding a luggage type clasp?

Tom, sorry I forgot to take pictures while I at the boat yesterday.  I'll so do Monday.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Mark, sorry it took so long to get these photos.  I use the strap on the side to hang our handheld VHF.

mark_53

Thanks, I was looking for those SS pipe hangers but no one had them.  Went with plain old SS u-bolts.  Where did you get the pipe hangers?

Stu Jackson

Indian Falls

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Fred Koehlmann

Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine