Waterpump/Camshaft problem w/M-35BC engine

Previous topic - Next topic

rbeecham

I have monitored and communicated with several people on the Sailnet email lists concerning a post describing a potential major problem with the way the raw water pump on the Universal M-35B is driven by an extension on the camshaft.  Based upon communication with Universal by another member, the potential for the extension on the camshaft to shear involves engines manufactured up to the year 2000.  This has already happened to at least two engines as reported on Sailnet.

There is a part which will address this problem, it is # 044497 water pump collar, and is available from Universal or one of their distributors, it is a $5 part. This part is easily installed by removing the raw water pump, inserting the collar around the camshaft extension and reinstalling the water pump. You will probably want a new gasket, it is part no. 302678.

I have not installed mine yet, but will this week.

Dick Beecham

Refuge
C34 - #1430
Rock Hall, MD
rbeecham@jersey.net

Norris Johnson

Had the same problem about a year ago. Repaired it with parts supplied from Westerbeke. Also, a friend of mine had a 99 36 ft Catalina. It only had 25 hrs. on the engine. I repaired it in January. Used the new collar on both.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

rbeecham

That's interesting, how did you find out about the problem?

Dick Beecham

Refuge
C34 - #1430
Rock Hall, MD
rbeecham@jersey.net

Norris Johnson

After cranking the engine, I noticed I didn't have any water in the exhaust. It's the first thing I do after starting the engine.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

dsavary

I have a M35A engine. Does this have the same camshaft extention problem with the water pump.

Norris Johnson

Doug, I e-mailed Russ Hagan @westerbeke and he asked for the serial # of the engine and he sent me all of the parts and gaskets, including the collar that slips over the joint of the new camshaft.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Norris Johnson

Sorry Doug. I can't answer your question, but try

RHagan@westerbeke.com

Just include your engine serial number.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

rirvine

Norris’ suggestion works just fine.

I emailed the serial number of my engine and low and behold they sent me back the collar, a gasket, and the installation instructions.  If anybody wants a copy of the instructions send me an email address.

Stu Jackson

Ray

Could you please send a copy to Mark Elkin, melkin@san.rr.com (Mark Elkin), our associate FAQ and projects webmaster?

Then he can post them on the website for all.

Thanks,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Found this on the C36 website:

IMPORTANT!

An important message for all Catalina 36 owners:
     On November 7, 2002, I spoke personally with Gerry Douglas of Catalina Yachts.  A problem was discovered by Westerbeke that concerns many M35B engines - a problem which could cause cam shaft failure.  
     Once the problem was discovered, Westerbeke/Universal came out with directions on how to check and how to add a 'cam sleeve' to the raw water pump to fix the problem.  It's a relatively simple fix, and Westerbeke/Universal will sent owners of all M36B engines the cam sleeve and directions at no charge.  
     Unfortunately, it's not possible for Catalina to tell exactly which boats, by hull number, are affected.  Therefore, Gerry Douglas asked that the Catalina 36 International Association help Catalina Yachts get this word out to Catalina owners with potentially affected engines.  
     Owners of all Catalinas with the M25XP or the M35B engines (this includes Catalina 28, 30, 320, 34, and 36) are asked to review the service bulletin (click on the graph image below) and check your boat engines to make sure a cam sleeve is in place behind the raw water pump.   Steps on getting a cam sleeve (at no cost) from Westerbeke are in the service bulletin.
     Further, for C36 owners, after you check you engine, would you please email the C36IA webmaster (dstovall@gci.net) and give (1) your hull number, (2) and whether the sleeve was found or was missing.   If you discovered this problem after suffering engine damage, please let us know.  The association will collect M35B information and post data on this website to assist other owners, and to assess the magnitude of the problem.
     Both Catalina Yachts and your C36IA want to see this concern checked and corrected as quickly as possible.

- Phil Rojas
Commodore
Catalina 36 International Association

Universal/Westerbeke Service Bulletin 235
Problems with water pumps on the X25 and M35 engines may cause camshaft failure -

You can get to the site using the following:

http://www.catalina36.org/home.htm

It includes the picture of the old and new parts.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Norris Johnson

Wheels of progress turn slow. Westerbeke knew about this in Sept of 2001. Hope no  :mad:one burnt up an engine.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

hdevera

I have hull number 1554.  My Engine number is YGO294E007.  E007 was built July 2000.  Hence hull numbers greater than mine should be okay.  

I request that other owners log on and note their hull number and engine number to determine which hull numbers are affected.

Norris Johnson

Good idea, Hal. My hull is 1408 and motor is #116667D801.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Roc

My engine serial number is before the E001 date.  However, when I took my water pump off, my cam shaft did already have the collar installed.  The only way you can make sure is if you pull the pump off and take a look...

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

captran

Does anyone know the difference?  I am 3000 miles from my boat but I took the serial number off the original sales agreement.  If that number is correct, I have an "A" model and Westerbeke says that is unaffected by the bulletin.  I have a 97  hull number 1345.  You would think they would have been consistent in the engine models that they put in Catalinas close to my hull  number.  anyone know why and what the difference is???