Running wire from starboard stern to battery bank area

Previous topic - Next topic

bayates

I am getting ready to run the wires for my solar panels (mounted on bimini) to the solar controllers which will be mounted on starboard side near batteries adn water heater compartment.  Is there a chase / channel that I can use to run the wires through?
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

patrice

Hi,

I also have my solar panel on the bimini.
Ran the wires along bimini frame, pushpit, and thru the vent hood.
So wires end up under the bed, easy access.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Right.  And once under the aft cabin, you can route easily under the engine to the water heater and anywhere from there.  Going to starboard is a ballroom!   :clap

ba, could you add your boat, year and location to your signature?  We assume you have a Mark I - series cabin.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Hi Brian,
      Every boat layout seems to be a little different. I've recently run cables from the battery box to under the aft cabin on my 1987 MK1. On my boat I was not able to run underneath the engine compartment, so I used the hole to starboard where the aft water tank hose goes to the sink area. The hose goes through a conduit, but no other conduit or wire chase is in that area. Next to the hose conduit the area is open all the way to the galley sink. Use a fish tape and messenger lines to pull through.

2 photos attached for reference. 1st photo the hole cleared up and messenger lines pulled from galley sink/water heater area to under the aft cabin. The dark stuff barely visible next to the hose is old adhesive easily removed with a light tap of a screwdriver. 2nd photo 1AWG cables passing through the hole.

Jon W
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Andrew Harvey

There is a watertight SS thru hull adapter that you can run the cable through if you don't want to use the vent.

Mine is on the transom as my panel is mounted on the davits
Andrew Harvey

patrice

Hi,

Yes it should be better to run cable thru a watertight cable through.
But I don't like to add holes to my boat, so I try to find other solution.   :D
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~