M25xp coolant level

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveM

How far does the coolant level run below the radiator cap neck with a cold engine with a coolant reservoir installed.  Also what are the usual levels in a quart reservoir hot and cold.

Thanks
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Ed Shankle

My reservoir fill level is right to the top, that is, the base of the cap, when cold. Presumably because as the engine cools, it sucks the collant back in from the overflow reservoir. I never actually check how much is in the overflow, but I'd estimate maybe 8oz cold and 16oz hot?

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Dave : With a coolant recovery system/bottle, the coolant level inside the engine reservoir will be to the top with the hose to the bottle filled with coolant all the way to the bottle.

When the coolant is cold it will be sucked from the bottle back into the engine. 
I'd guess that about 1/2+ pint of fluid moves in and out of the bottle?

The idea of that system is to keep air out of the coolant system and to be able to know the coolant level by just looking at the bottle.  No need to ever remove the cap to ever check the coolant level!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

Ron, thats if everything is working, my engine started to overheat, coolent was low in the reservoir, however overflow bottle was always about half full , my radiator cap wasn't working properly giving me a false sense of complacency .changed the cap installed a clear hose and everything is ok now.  Not sure why it got low like that, I now always remove the radiator cap and check
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

DaveM

Thanks guys just what I needed.  I am a periodic direct reservoir checker anyway.  Thanks for all the points.

Good winds
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP