Cutting Switch Panel

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

Has anyone had to cut their MK1 electrical panel to install new switches?  Doe it cut without chipping?

KWKloeber

Use a roto-zip (or a roto-zip bit in a Dremel works very well) or a fine-toothed sabre saw blade (eg. bi metal, 32 tpi blade.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I was able to drill holes in mine.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : if you use Ken's saber saw suggestion to cut anything that may chip, make sure that you have a down cutting saw blade!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Whatever method you use, tape both sides of the area, mark the cut on the tape, and cut through the tape.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 12, 2016, 11:23:19 AM
Guys : if you use Ken's saber saw suggestion to cut anything that may chip, make sure that you have a down cutting saw blade!!

A thought

I've never had laminate chip when using a ferrous metal cutting blade and going slow.  A wood blade, yes. 
Also some sabre saws (orbital cut) cut on only the up stroke -- they move the blade aft (away from the cut) on the down stroke.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain