Air filter fill

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on March 14, 2016, 04:33:47 PM
You're suggesting a few metal bits is good for its constitution (and oil/compression rings)?
Like vitamins.

Only on a Buick V6.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

If you don't mind paying...CD has the whole canister assembly Air Filter w/Aluminum Honeycomb Universal Diesel (#Z3428):  $62.90
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on March 14, 2016, 04:55:19 PM
If you don't mind paying...CD has the whole canister assembly Air Filter w/Aluminum Honeycomb Universal Diesel (#Z3428):  $62.90

What's the purpose of buying a whole new cannister w/ aluminum innards, when for $2 you can replace the honeycomb with stainless steel?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Not advocating, just offering info. Who knows, an assembly could be missing, someone could be restoring???
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on March 14, 2016, 05:08:45 PM
Not advocating, just offering info. Who knows, an assembly could be missing, someone could be restoring???

Ahhhh ok, I thought that was to GWP, who had the enclosure, missing the innards.   8)

Ken

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rick Allen on March 14, 2016, 12:55:18 PM
I also installed the K&N RU2450 and it's been working great.

What a nice clean engine, Rick!
What type hose barb is on the crankcase breather -- a threaded or push in, or....?

Ken

Bobg

how necessary is it to have that foam silencing material around the filter, mine crumbled off would like some thoughts on using a green foam filter you buy for small engines, checking material stores, walmart ect. can't find material that equates to what was on.  been thinking on going to that K&N filter. but is that overkill to what is oem.   
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Jon W

What is the black box on the right bulkhead for? Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bobg on March 15, 2016, 06:03:18 AM
how necessary is it to have that foam silencing material around the filter, mine crumbled off would like some thoughts on using a green foam filter you buy for small engines, checking material stores, walmart ect. can't find material that equates to what was on.  been thinking on going to that K&N filter. but is that overkill to what is oem.

YBYC - it's primarily for noise.  Some 11 years ago mine was all stretched out and wouldn't stay in place, so I sent the Admiral off with it in hand to find a cheap (reasonably) replacement.   She came back with a matching one in an hour for a couple boat bucks -- from Lowes or Wally or some other big box.  I didn't even need to trim the width.

Check with your local mower or other small engine repair shop -- if they don't have one hanging on the rack they can order an inexpensive copy.

kk

Rick Allen

QuoteWhat type hose barb is on the crankcase breather -- a threaded or push in, or....?
Ken, it's threaded. I don't recall the size hole I drilled into the rubber top, but it screwed in very tight. I was going to put a nylon nut on it but never saw the need. besides, if the nut came loose, it would fall into the intake.

QuoteWhat is the black box on the right bulkhead for?
Jon, IIRC, it's a RF noise reducer installed by the PO. I don't know much about it but I assume he installed because he had an SSB on the boat at the time, but I may be incorrect.

Here's a better picture:

I'm getting ready to redo the connections as they're looking worn..
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

KWKloeber

QuoteWhat type hose barb is on the crankcase breather -- a threaded or push in, or....?

Ken, it's threaded. I don't recall the size hole I drilled into the rubber top, but it screwed in very tight. I was going to put a nylon nut on it but never saw the need. besides, if the nut came loose, it would fall into the intake.

Rick,  yeah as long as it's tight, why bother?
If it ever needed a nut, I would deform the male threads using a soldering iron, sorts as I recommend in my TechWiki article if using a brass fitting.  Alternately, I've seen some insert a heavy rubber grommet, and use a push in fitting.

Cheers,
Ken

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bobg on March 15, 2016, 06:03:18 AM

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7370.msg50214.html#msg50214
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."