Better access to fill transmission

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

After too many years messing around filling and draining the transmission each winter and spring (and often making a mess) I decided to modify the HX bracket for better access. So I wouldn't screw up the bracket beyond use, I thought I would buy another bracket  as a spare.
First  price I found was $265. I don't think so! A search finally got me down to $65. So I started from scratch. Made a new bracket that was 1-1/2" longer and dropped 3/4". (Ron. It clears the HX) A large arc in the plate gives plenty of room to get to the transmission fill. Workes great.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

Congratulations, Phil, that is a superb solution.

I have a photo, somewhere, of my method, which is putting a LONG extender of two or three parts  on my socket wrench and socket which just fits straight down onto the nut on the dipstick.  IIRC, I used little dab of butyl tape inside each of the connectors so I wouldn't lose the tool parts as I reached down with it.

"A Little Dab'll Do Ya!"
  :D :D :D

Please consider writing this up as a Tech Note and sending it in for publication.

Great work and thanks for sharing.  I'll stick a link back here in the Tech wiki, engine section.

Thanks again.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Phil : Wish I had thought of that - what a great fix.

You need to sent that to John Nixon so he can publish that in the Mainsheet tech notes.  That way all M25/M25XP owners can have an easier way to check the transmission dip stick!!  :clap

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

What a super idea, Phil -

When I switched to the 3" Hx I ordered the part number for it, and of course the mounting holes didn't even come close to fitting the tranny so I reformed mine to fit 3".  A small ball pein-hammer dent in the Hx right above the dipstick allows it to just slip up and past the larger diameter tube (access on the C-30 is from directly behind the tranny.)

I put a short vinyl hose on a Nalgene lab squeeze bottle. 

Kinda like the Harbor Freight ones here  http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-3-8-oz-storage-bottles-with-twist-caps-66170.html  but heavier quality.

I fill the bottle to my mark at 0.3 liter, insert hose, tip the bottle upside down, and squeeze  -- no muss no fuss.

I also have a squeeze-bulb-type battery filler (remnant from when I previously stored on the hard) with the stem marked at the distance from the top of dipstick to 'full.' 
In Fall I'd suck 'er dry with my oil change pump and completely refill (overkill no doubt.)  In spring I'd pull the level down from 'over full' to 'full' using my TFA (tranny fluid adjuster.)   No muss no fuss.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Phil Spicer

Thanks guys. Stu.....you are so "debonair!" Are we showing our age? Ron, we got our 34 in 1993. You would think I would have gone
after this problem long ago. Did this last spring and one season test shows no problems. Will see if I can get my CAD files off for the Tech Notes.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ekutney

Phil,

Can you provide more details, measurements, on the bracket you built.  I have had the boat just about 1 year & am in the process of changing all the fluids as the season has come to an end.  I have reviewed the info on this site & it looks like your method makes the best sense to get access to the dip stick for the transmission.   I have planned to loosen the HX to get to the dip stick put it still is going to be an acrobatic move. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke