What is the acorn nut in the galley ceiling connected to?

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

I was over checking on the boat yesterday and noticed a drip from the acorn nut on the galley ceiling (it's the one directly aft of the dorade vent opening on the starboard side). Looks like I'll need to rebed (or at least investigate) whatever hardware this is attached to.  Looking at the cabin top directly above the nut, it appears it may be holding part of the mainsheet traveler, but there's not an obviously bolt on the topside since the nut is directly under the molded fiberglass base for the traveler.

Anyone know what this nut/bolt is used for?
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ken Juul

you are correct, it attaches the traveller securely to the cabin top.  There is also one in front of the head door.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kwaltersmi

Thanks guys.

Stu - The article you posted states "Early C-34s (ours is a 1987 #245) did not have bolts through the towers and terminating on the inside cabin overhead. "

Since I've got an acorn nut in the galley, does that mean my traveller bolt does indeed go through the tower to the inside cabin overhead?  I'd check myself, but the boat is sitting on the hard 50 miles away at the moment. Either way, I'll jinx myself and say this seems like a relatively easy fix if the water is getting in through the traveler bolt.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree