Black dust near front of Alternator

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

There's quite a bit of black dust near the front of the alternator. I wiped it off of the sound/heat proofing on the aft face of the lower steps.

I'm guessing it's from either the Alternator Belt which looks in pretty good shape, or it's from the alternator brushes.

Any suggestions.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Dave Spencer

Almost certainly belt wear.  This is very common (...I hope, since I have dust on mine too.)  If it's severe, have a look at alignment between the alternator pulley and the drive pulley.   
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

Another thing to consider is perhaps the engine insulation, behind the foil face, is/has deteriorated and causing the "dust"?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Paul : Some "belt dust" will naturally occur, just check to make sure that it's not excessive dust (wear) due to poor alignment!!

To check alignment take a straight edge ruler and place it on the water pump pulley and extend it over to the alternator pulley.  The straight edge on the alternator pulley should just touch the ruler
If it doesn't match, then you need to play with washers on the alternator attaching bolt to move the alternator on that bolt - for or aft.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Thanks everyone.

Ron, that sounds like the process to follow. I'll take a steel rule to the boat tomorrow.

The dust is on the surface of the heat sheild and on the front of the alternator. I'll vacuum it off and check the alignment.

:D

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Paul, take another look in the 101 Topics.  I posted a detailed discussion of how to align the pulleys, from Maine Sail's input.

This one

Universal M-25 & M25XP Alternator Bracket Upgrade & Alignment 101 IMPORTANT

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7917.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on February 21, 2016, 10:46:33 AM
There's quite a bit of black dust near the front of the alternator. I wiped it off of the sound/heat proofing on the aft face of the lower steps.

I'm guessing it's from either the Alternator Belt which looks in pretty good shape, or it's from the alternator brushes.

Any suggestions.

Paul

What type belt do you run?  Recommend a Dayco Top Cog for longest life.  JTSO

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roc

Paul,
Check your alternator bracket.  It may be cracked and cause movement.   Although it was cracked and the alternator was rocking back and forth if you put pressure on it, everything was working, so I don't know how long it was like that.  Replaced the bracket and no more dust.  I changed the belt at that time also.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Lance Jones

One other thing to check is that the through bolts that hold the alternator halves together have not loosened. That happened to me last year. Thankfully, I caught it before much damage was done. I never thought to check that.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622