new main sail and jib

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

hi
i am looking to get a new main sail and jib for my catalina 34 1986 model   .  is there any consensus about best places to buy the sails,   catalina direct vs north sails or doyle sails vs sail ware house; there does seem to be a price difference depending on where you go. 

thanks 

gary
catalina 34
summer wind

Stu Jackson

Gary, this is a recurring topic.  Here's a similar one:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5035.0.html

There is no right answer, whether for main or jib.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

There is a huge plus in going to a local sail loft, even if they don't make the sails at the loft (many don't), because if there is an issue with the sail you Know where they live!  8)

We're delighted with our new Main and Genoa, and we did have an issue - they put the numbers in the wrong order on one side of the sails (Should be 463, one side had 364). They took the sail back to the loft and corrected it.

I plan on actually participating in a racing event or two this year -  our first.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Roc

Try Mack Sails, in Stuart, FL.  They provide items that are usually options as standard on their sails.  Ask for Travis if you call.

http://macksails.com/

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Steve McGill

Gary,

Everyone has an opinion, I will throw my out there.

The last sails I ordered came from National Sail Supply in Florida. I dealt with Dirt Sharland. They are Rolly Tasker sails.

I ordered with 4 full battens, loose footed main, numbers and a few other particulars. The quality, price and ATTENTION TO DETAIL
was outstanding. I figured that after Catalina built 1,500 + standard / tall rig 34s there is nothing that special that a visit to my
boat is going to help educate a sail loft any further.

Enjoy,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Gary : Here's a thought:

When I bought new sails I contacted 5 sail makers and asked them for a quote and on a genoa and a main. I gave each a set of MY specs. that included such items as leach line, sail number, foam luff, weight Dacron, bolt rope or loose footed, cruising laminate, delivery cost? etc etc etc , also some of their suggestions with pricing.
Then I made a simple spread sheet and made a decision.  Contact more than 5 if you want. 

Simple as that - to get what I wanted 
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 19, 2016, 02:21:13 PM
Gary : Here's a thought:

When I bought new sails I contacted 5 sail makers and asked them for a quote and on a genoa and a main. I gave each a set of specs. that included such items as leach line, sail number, foam luff, weight Dacron, bolt rope or loose footed, cruising laminate, delivery cost? etc etc etc , also some of their suggestions with pricing.
Then I made a simple spread sheet and made a decision.  Contact more than 5 if you want. 

Simple as that

And based on differences between the quotes and recommendation of lofts, decide what YOU WANT and re ask for pricing from all on YOUR specs,  not several different specs.   One loft may typically do X instead of Y because of a better price point,  so have them all price out Y, if that's what you want.   Ask questions ie why do you typically do Y instead of Z?  Oftentimes that will show differences in knowledge base and understanding owner's needs.   Knowledge talks,  BS walks.

Kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

garyw

Thank you all very much for your input

Gary

Jim Hardesty

Gary,
You didn't include your location.  If someone here is from the same area you might get a recommendation for a local loft.  Or possibly a problem with the local loft.  Sails are a big investment so it helps to get a variety of quotes and ideas on options.  I think it helps to have a relationship with a local loft.  If for nothing else, for fitting, repairs, and an off season inspection.  I've learned a lot from my local sailmaker.  Things like how to and where to check the stitching how to clean the sails without damage and many others.  And sail lofts are really interesting places.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

garyw

Roland Gendreau

Gary,

I purchased a new main a few years ago and a new jib a few years before that. Each time I figured out what I wanted feature wise, then solicited quotes from local and remote sail lofts.   As mentioned by someone else, I then used a spreadsheet to compare the quotes.  I would be glad to email you my spreadsheet so you can see what I did.
Drop me an email at ferllyr@yahoo.com and I will send it to you.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

BillG

If you are looking for local lofts, Doyle is located outside of Boston, another loft that has gotten good reviews on this site over the years is Kappa sail, located in westport CT, which is a couple hours from you.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Steve_in_lex

Another small but good sailmaker is Ralph DiMattia in Quincy.  Our PO had him build an in-mast-furling main (for our PO) and it looks good.  He also repaired our genny, and knows C34's.  He's an agent for Neil Pryde.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Ed Shankle

More specifically, Doyle is in Salem. Big loft, good folks. Clean and store my sails over the winter there too.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA