Engine alternator belt

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hi everybody i have a problem with my engine belt. I have a m35bc 1997 and i am in bahamas since a couple of month and this morning i have check my engine and a saw that my belt were very loose. So i decided to adjust and i saw that the adjustement is at the end of the bracket. I have changed the belt and the new seems to be to long to. I have the good number of the belt by universal motor . My question is can i buy a new one little shorter and why my belt do not fit. Is it possible that the the pulley on the alternator is wearing?
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Ron Hill

Andre : You'd better look at the engine closely and figure out why the belt is suddenly too long!!

Look at the vertical alignment and insure that the belt hasn't worn on it's side and is now riding lower in the pulley grove.

However, I suspect that there is nothing wrong with the belt.  Look at the alternator mount that attaches to the engine and make sure that it isn't cracked!!  :cry4`

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: andre on February 13, 2016, 06:34:54 PMMy question is can i buy a new one little shorter and why my belt do not fit. Is it possible that the the pulley on the alternator is wearing?

Yes, you can buy shorter belts.  Rare that the pulley would wear enough to make a difference in belt sizes.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Andre : Like Stu said of course you can always install a shorter belt.

Don't know how long (engine hours running) you have had that belt on your M35BC, but belts don't stretch and I believe that something else is going on there.  Especially if this "loose belt" is a sudden thing!!  :think

My thought
Ron, Apache #788