Repairing mast paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad "Captivated" #1285

When I removed the shrinkwrap which was taped around a section of the mast the paint came off with the tape.
What is the proper method of repairing this area which is about 4" x 6"?

Hull#753

Best I can offer are my experiences w/ touching up the mast paint on BLUE MOON.  It was impractical for me to exact-match the color; I was more concerned with corrosion prevention.

Here in CA they have VOC restrictions which made the paint choice decision for me: a polyurethane-based white. (took a chip of old mast paint in for color matching - sold off the shelf from West Marine)

Believe it or not, used a Dremel tool to get rid of the chalky corrosion where ever that tool could reach.  Sanding seemed extremely labor-intensive, relatively ineffective (relative to the Dremel).   This may not apply to you if the paint came off clean with the shrink-wrap material, down to the bare metal, but I scuffed up the bare metal prior to painting to aid adhesion - other experts on this DB can most likely better inform you re: surface prep.

Decent quality paint brush & watch atmospheric conditions as the hot dry SoCal day I applied meant the paint set up in < 15 mins.  _[!!)

Hope this helps

John