LED Interior Lamp

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Sail

Excellent alert (and well done video by Marinebeam.com). The question it leaves me with is, how does a sailor tell?  Somehow I suspect we can't just trust the vendors of such crappy products to tell us if their bulbs are properly designed to work reliably across the full range of voltage expected on a boat (~10-17v).

In the meantime, perhaps someone (MaineSail listening?) can create a list of quality manufacturers?

KWKloeber

Quote from: J_Sail on February 13, 2016, 09:48:05 AM
Excellent alert (and well done video by Marinebeam.com). The question it leaves me with is, how does a sailor tell?  Somehow I suspect we can't just trust the vendors of such crappy products to tell us if their bulbs are properly designed to work reliably across the full range of voltage expected on a boat (~10-17v).

In the meantime, perhaps someone (MaineSail listening?) can create a list of quality manufacturers?

If the price seems too good to be true, the product is probably also.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

dfloeter

Thanks Ken for the video.   I see a little testing is in order.    When I return from a three week road trip I will check this out further.   
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ekutney

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

The light I installed over the galley was:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/swivel-led/

It is mounted to the wooden strip which is orientated 45 deg and facing downward from the front of the front of trim piece.  The light still has the ability to rotate but not the full range of movement it had when mounted on a flat surface.

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Noah

I took a different approach; lighting the galley from the side and above, using an Alpenglow bullhead reading light with dimmer and a separate Dr. LED red/white light over ice box.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

patrice

Hi,
Like your setup Noah,

I find that all fixtures are to low and don't provide proper lighting.

I have suspended batterie LED lamp from the handrail roof, it helped.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

dfloeter

A quick update on my el cheapo leds referenced earlier.   I wired the two types (MR-16 4 watt with 60 leds on a flat panel and 6 watt with 3 leds) that I have to an old Radio Shack 12 volt power supply that actually outputs 16.2 volts.   Wiring them one at a time, they were let burn for a couple hours each and temperature was monitored occasionally with a Fluke laser thermometer.  The temp at the bases never topped 70F and measuring the sides of the reflectors the temp was closer to 80F.  I know this is not real scientific but the lights did well at 16 volts and never came close to a melt down.   If I can track down a variable power source I would like to check these lights at higher voltages and find the breaking point.   Thanks for the concern about less expensive lights but so far I see no reason to stop using these.  Am I missing something?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

KWKloeber

Quote from: dfloeter on March 26, 2016, 08:39:52 AM
A quick update on my el cheapo leds referenced earlier.   I wired the two types (MR-16 4 watt with 60 leds on a flat panel and 6 watt with 3 leds) that I have to an old Radio Shack 12 volt power supply that actually outputs 16.2 volts.   Wiring them one at a time, they were let burn for a couple hours each and temperature was monitored occasionally with a Fluke laser thermometer.  The temp at the bases never topped 70F and measuring the sides of the reflectors the temp was closer to 80F.  I know this is not real scientific but the lights did well at 16 volts and never came close to a melt down.   If I can track down a variable power source I would like to check these lights at higher voltages and find the breaking point.   Thanks for the concern about less expensive lights but so far I see no reason to stop using these.  Am I missing something?

Was it still 16v with the load on it? 
I have a variable V source that I could USPS to you.  The other option would be to invest in some 6v lantern batteries == I guess they would punch out enough amps.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

dfloeter

Satisfying my curiosity, I have results.   Temps were measured with a Fluke 62 Mini IR Thermometer and voltages with a Blue Seas AC/DC Clamp Meter.  Two types of leds were tested, 6w x3 led and a 4w x 60 led.  The ancient Radio Shack power supply  puts out 15.5 volts with the 3x led and 15.8 volts with the 60x led. 

Top temps: 6w x3 90F on the led surface and 85F on the vented side
                 4w x60 157F on the led surface and 70-110 on the side measuring from trhe base upwards

At no time did anything smell burned or seem unusual.  For whatever it's worth, this is the data.   Should I continue using the leds?

Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Paulus

Replaced my aft cabin lights with West Marine led cabin lights. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

cmnq323

Quote from: dfloeter on February 03, 2016, 02:27:23 PM
I added four of these lights in our salon mounted to cabinets for reading lights and maybe they would work in the front?  The build is solid and they are all stainless except for the chrome plated base which at least is ferrous enough for a magnet to stick. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Reading-Light-RV-Fixture-MR16-LED-Bulb-Base-Satin-Chrome-12v-GW21500-/221838108222?hash=item33a694e63e

I like them and will install as well!

SPembleton

Quote from: Paulus on February 07, 2016, 09:01:46 AM
Thanks Noah, Have the same complaint about the light in the head.  I am thinking about putting in a puck type that works off batteries?  Will check out the web site.
Paulus

I installed some puck lights in my house.  Batteries last about 2-3 hours total.  Threw the away!  I am sure there are good and bad ones.  Not sure how to determine.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."