Replacing lens & gasket in Gray head portlight

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

I ordered a replacement lens for the port in the head last summer, but never installed it because it appears the lens I received is a mirror image (reversed orientation) of what I need. In other words, the top hinge connections are reversed so that the left side has a bolt/screw and the right side has a smaller diameter pin. You would think I could just flip the lens over and have the hinges aligned correctly, but the lens is "one-sided" since there's a flange that extends from around the edge on what's suppose to be the interior side of the lens.  Also, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the pin that's in one of the hinges on the existing lens. I'm not sure if this pin is OEM, or if a previous owner replaced a bolt/screw with the pin for some unknown reason.

Anyone else have this issue or have any tips?  I'll try to add pictures of what I'm talking about tomorrow to clear up my descriptions.

modified title  Stu
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

DaveBMusik

Mine was made by Gray Enterprises of Tampa. I need to replace the gasket and can find no mention of them on the web. Where did you get your lense?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Quote from: DaveBMusik on April 02, 2016, 03:57:58 PM
Mine was made by Gray Enterprises of Tampa. I need to replace the gasket and can find no mention of them on the web. Where did you get your lense?

Dave I just replaced the gasket on ours.  Go here:  http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?50368

I got three feet, more than enough.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Dave, what I bought was #802344.

Walt, sbo has the lenses, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

DaveBMusik

Thanks, did you seal the two ends with anything?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Quote from: DaveBMusik on April 04, 2016, 08:50:17 AM
Thanks, did you seal the two ends with anything?

No need to do so.  Just follow the instructions, which say put the joint at the top.