Chart plotter location

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

Hi all, I just purchased a Raymarine E7D. I have been looking at Navpods and mainsail's flat mount for the new baby but am concerned about taking up more space and obstructing visibility and movement in the cockpit. I was thinking one option would be to mount the chart plotter below at the nav table and using a tablet or iPhone at the helm with a sturdy mount and water proof case. I'm not doing any blue water sailing. My question is do any of you C34 owners find your "full featured" chart plotter is in the way in the cockpit? Has anyone else mounted your "full featured" chart plotter below? Also, where do most put the autopilot control head? I can add the control head and E7d to a Navpod but how obstructive will that be based on your experience.
Thanks
Mark

Roc

Mark,
You could make a cardboard template of the set up, actual size.  Mount it on the pedestal to get a feel of how much room this would really take.  You can get fancy and tape an actual size picture of your chartplotter on the cardboard template and you could see what it would look like mounted together.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Fred Koehlmann

Mark,

Unless you or your crew are on the short side to start with, we find it not an issue. We have the Nav Pod on the upper sloped section of the bars and can still easily see over it and I'm 5'-7" tall (I'm starting on the shrinking path :( ). To be honest we mostly sail standing or sitting to the side of the helm. I find I'm primarily directly behind the wheel only in rough weather, in the marina or anchoring and when I want to look at the plotter.

When we bought our boat, the plotter was down below at the Nav Station, and it was a pain. Someone was always going down below to check something. One moonless night we were coming into an anchorage and my spouse was down below broadcasting up what I should be seeing in the dark. Not a very comfy feeling. I then ended up moving the plotter to the helm and installed a black & white repeater monitor down below.

Roc's idea is a good idea to get a feel for if its going to obstruct your viewing, but the plotter really should be readily available for the helms person.

IMHO.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Noah

Perhaps this old post of mine will assust you.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8542.msg60294.html#msg60294

I installed my 12 in. MFD/chartplotter at the helm using a modified (cut/bent/rewelded/angle guard and Navpod and don't have visibility issues. i am 5 ft. 8-1/2 in. (on a "tall" day!)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

Thanks Roc, i hadn't thought of building a mockup...maybe I'll try a tape measure and my imagination since my boat project list is full!

Fred, I can see how the chartplotter below would be a PIA.  You want to see real data as you navigate. But, that could also be accomplished through a wireless connection to the chartplotter through a tablet or phone mounted securely and protected from the elements.

Noah, nice looking setup!  looks like you've got all bases covered.

Do you leave your chartplotters installed 24/7?  I'd be a little concerned about thieves where I'm at.  Also, do you find weather, even if covered would be tough on the electronics?

Noah

The Navpod is intended for 24/7 out on deck waterproof install. It uses proprietary "security head" screws to stop the common thief. However if someone is in the business of stealing electronics they can easily buy the Navpod wrench for $25 at West Marine, etc. I also have a canvas binnacle/wheel cover that goes over all so perhaps not as much advertised in plain site.
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Hi Mark,
I already have a bank of instruments on our ancient Navpod so I improvised a solution for our chartplotter.  It is mounted on a VHF antenna bracket that I didn't use when I bought a new antenna several years ago.  It can pivot from side to side so it can be seen if you are sitting on the port or stbd side.  I have even rotated it so it's facing forward when we're on autohelm and I stretch out in the cockpit.  I easily remove it and stow it below when we're away from the boat.  This is a frugal (well, ok, "cheap") approach.  RAM mounts available at many chandleries would do the same thing, maybe even a little better. 
For the type of sailing we do on Georgian Bay and in the North Channel, I can't imagine having the chartplotter down below.  It may make more sense for open ocean cruising.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

One important factor to note in all of these pictures of good installs:  You MUST be able to still use the binnacle tubing as a handhold.  I've seen too many folks (not here!  :D) have their instruments interfere with a good and valuable handhold.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

PO had a monocrome radar mounted at the navsta.  Next to useless for poor vis navigation.  Only thing it really did was over the horizon line of position and traffic search.  When you are navigating, is your chart book at the navsta or helm? 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mark_53

Ken:
Charts are rolled and in tubes. Use only occasionally around the dinner table for crew discussion. I use the iPhone (skipper app) or iPad(iSailor) at the helm. Sunlight is an issue though with each.
I've decided to go the Navpod route because of the sunlight issue. Will have the chart plotter and autopilot control head in the Navpod. Maybe remove instruments for storage in the off season. 
Thanks all;
Mark

mark_53

Quote from: Dave Spencer on February 02, 2016, 05:19:33 PM
Hi Mark,
I already have a bank of instruments on our ancient Navpod so I improvised a solution for our chartplotter.  It is mounted on a VHF antenna bracket that I didn't use when I bought a new antenna several years ago.  It can pivot from side to side so it can be seen if you are sitting on the port or stbd side.  I have even rotated it so it's facing forward when we're on autohelm and I stretch out in the cockpit.  I easily remove it and stow it below when we're away from the boat.  This is a frugal (well, ok, "cheap") approach.  RAM mounts available at many chandleries would do the same thing, maybe even a little better. 
For the type of sailing we do on Georgian Bay and in the North Channel, I can't imagine having the chartplotter down below.  It may make more sense for open ocean cruising.

Dave, I was planning on mounting my autopilot control head in the Navpod like yours.  However, the installation instructions say to mount it 0.8M from the compass.  Have you had any issues with either the autopilot or compass with that location?

Noah

I believe it is a magnetic interference issue--same with any instrument/device you place next to magnetic compass, it may effect compass accuracy. You need to test it. Just place it where you think you want it and watch your compass for any "movement". If it is less than 5-6 degress you (or professional compass adjuster) can probably correct/adjust compass to eliminate error. This was cited as a problem by reviewers of my B&G Zeus Touch 12 chartplotter, due to the fact that it has a magnet on the micro simm card socket door. It turned out to be a non-issue.
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Hi Mark,
I haven't seen any issues with my compass with the chartplotter mounted where it is.  Although, the chartplotter is always there when I'm sailing so if there is deviation, I wouldn't notice it.  Certainly no issue with the autopilot since the compass is below and well away from the helm.  I have had some trouble with my binoculars though.  The compass definitely moves when I stow them in what I think is an ideal location in the drink holder.

If you look carefully at the picture I posted, you'll see my autopilot was acting up.  It is showing I have fallen off course to Stbd but the virtual helm is showing the wheel hard over to port and you can see the wheel is centred in the picture.   I took this picture to support my case with Raymarine that my new autopilot wasn't working.  Although it was inconvenient since I had a three week vacation with no auto and I had to remove parts and get it to the service centre near Toronto, Raymarine agreed it wasn't working and repaired it. 

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario