What would you do?

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

I'm looking for a C34 and would appreciate any advice.
Would you go with a 1986 which has been extensively upgraded 4 years ago - new, larger yamaha engine, new sails, new fuel tank, new electronics including chart plotter and radar, new stays and running rigging complete with dingy for around 30K (only negative seems to be a few leaks to chase down-the hull and deck came back clear for moisture) or look for a MKII of the 2000 vintage around 70K?
The basic question: Do we spend the extra to enjoy a more modern hull and cabin while hoping not to get hammered with depreciation at the end (5 to 10 year mark).
What would you do?
Thanks for your help! - Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Wow, Dave what a choice!!!  30 vs 70.  Forget depreciation, because by the time your cold dead fingers release whatever boat you choose, they'll be the same.  We ain't in it for the $$$!!!

Lots depends on where and how you sail.  If you use a LOT of dinghy time, the walk through is far superior.

However, if your wife is short, she ain't gonna like the Mark II.  We have a couple here who have had a Mark I and now a Mark II (among many two timer C34 owners!) and she can't brace herself from one side of the cockpit to the other.

As I mentioned in answer to GeeCee on another post, the boats, with proper maintenance, will last forever.  Finding one with the features you described with a few leaks as the ONLY issue (and we've solved those leaks already and will show you where to find out how to fix them) is an extremely good deal.  We love our closed transom Mark I '86 and we do dinghy, but not a lot.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DaveBMusik

Thanks Stu! Does 5' qualify as short? 😀
That's something I did not think about
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Jim Hardesty

As a MKll owner I agree with Stu about the bracing, I'm 5' 6" and can't really brace myself when healed way over.  Wish Catalina would have made the seats 3" wider, would have solved the bracing problem and make the already great naps that much more comfortable.  Then again She sail better with a little less heal, so perhaps a sail trim is called for.  My previous boat was happy with the rail in the water, Shamrock not so happy.  I really like my MKll.  But, I think I would be just as happy with another model.  My Wife wanted the stern seats, I like them and guest love them.
The best advice is condition, condition.....    For most it's much better to buy a boat that needs little work then it is to buy a boat that is already needy.  Funny thing, some boats that need the least are the boats that get the most attention from owners.  Boats that need the most get the least.   Even on a good boat there is plenty to do.  Luckily it's very enjoyable.
Just my opinion.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

When we were boat shopping could not decide on a 34 or 36.  We were on a road trip in Fla and stumbled across a boat show.  Quiet Sunday, not much action before shutdown.  Dealer had a 34 and a 36, both early 90 models.  He let us snoop around both of them.  After about a half hour in each.  Admiral decided the 34 was the boat for us.  Bottom line, you and your Admiral need to spend some time on both models and decide which is right for you.  Knees and balance aren't what they used to be.  A walk thru transom and swim platform was a must for us.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jeff Kaplan

Dave,  I own an '86 #219, bought her 11 years ago.  I did extensive upgrades to the boat to bring her up to date, spending lots of money.  If you can get the 86 for around 30K, go for it.  The boat is great, handles well, loves 15-22 knot winds, thick hull, well built back in the day, safe and very comfortable. You can find the few leaks and fix them.  My advise, save the money and spend it elsewhere.  Good luck...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Andrew Harvey

There are ways to live without the walk thru transom.
There have been many discussions here about modifying the stern pulpit and adding swim platforms.
We love our '86. 

Andrew Harvey

mregan

Save the $40K and buy the '86.  Just add a swim platform.  We did this past season.  Makes a world of difference.

KWKloeber

Buying a boat is a 99% emotional and 1% logical decision.   If it were logical, this forum would likely be very thin.
10 years is a ways out, though it may not seem like it now.   Forget the depreciated value.

Buy the "best" boat that you can afford.  "Best" = what?  That's the emotional decisions you must weigh.  best for one isn't best for another.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Alex W

I thought a tablet / iPad as a repeater was a great idea, until I tried it.  They do not have sunlight readable screens.  Absolutely useless even on a mostly cloudy day.  Also, something about the coating on my iPad screen I have a lot more trouble with the viewing angle when wearing my polarized glasses.

That said, I do sometimes appreciate using my iPad as a repeater at the nav station.
Firefly
'88 c34 #713
Middle River, MD

Roland Gendreau

When we started shopping for our C34, we got very close to buying a Mk1, but then looked at the Mk1.5 - we really liked the open transom and ten years later, we are glad we spent a little more to get that feature.   I recommend you shop enough to ensure  you don't have buyer's remorse!

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

DaveBMusik

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Stu,

You mentioned the MK1 might be better for a shorter person. Is the distance between cockpit seats in the MK 1.5 the same as the MK II (wider)?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Noah

One thought...you might consider installing a triangled foot chock on the cockpit floor to brace against. I have seen this on wide race boats.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: DaveBMusik on February 06, 2016, 04:28:50 PM
Is the distance between cockpit seats in the MK 1.5 the same as the MK II (wider)?

Yes.  Only wider on the Mark IIs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jstrane

MKII but I'm bias.. Hull 1759
Brenda J
Hull #1759
Lake Lanier, Georgia