Muffler replacment

Previous topic - Next topic

kh3412

Hi new here but have been reading and following for a while. Purchased a 1988 Catalina 34 last fall. The boat had been sitting on the hard for the last three years due to the unfortunate death of the owner. We love the boat, even the wife said it was prefect with three years worth of dirt and mold. We have to move the boat in the spring and I have been going down the list of critical upgrades and I am replacing the muffler and hump hose. When the muffler finally popped free the base was loose from the hull. Cleaned and sealed the base with west system.  So now the question I have is 5200 better than west with some filler to bond it back down to the hull? More questions to follow I'm sure.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Stu Jackson

Quote from: kh3412 on February 04, 2016, 06:02:19 PM
... is 5200 better than west with some filler to bond it back down to the hull?

Welcome.

5200 is Satan's Glue and I think it shouldn't be used anywhere on a boat except for the hull to deck joint.

If you're talking about the plywood base underneath the muffler, just use epoxy or even wood glue.  Eventually you may want to remove it, or your next owner will, and 5200 is somewhat tenacious.   :D

I just replaced our muffler and wrote an upcoming tech note about it.  My plywood was still intact, so I didn't face this issue.

Ron Hill's excellent 2001 tech note article says he used galvanized sheet rock screws, which I think is a better solution.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

How old is the boat?  Careully inspect the exhaust riser around the cooling water nipple area.  That is where they usually break.  Any doubts, replace now, easier because you have the muffler out.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

kh3412

Should have clarified the exhaust is all new, hoses, pipe, muffler. Was just wondering what you would use to re-tab the muffler support back to the hull. They had it glassed in but glass was slooped on to muffler causing a pain to get muffler out the wooden support came loose from hull.

lazybone

For the rest of us...
What happened to the muffler that it needed replacement?
What are the signs that would tell us that it is time to replace the muffler?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Usually if it's leaking from somewhere on the body, or if the ports have eventually disintegrated so much they leak where the exhaust hose and hump hose connect.  Otherwise, there's nothing to service.

See What's In Your Mufflerhttp://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6728.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kh3412

Mr Jackson has it right, noticed soot around intake to muffler. The intake was crushed from trying to tighten the hose.
Thought about repairing it but went with a new one as i have a lot to do to get ready to move the boat.
The critical upgrade list and tech articles has been a huge help in getting the boat ready.
Thank you to all who went before me and shared the knowledge here a great resource.

Ron Hill

kh34 : I had the same problem - that one of the 2x4 pieces of lumber came "un-glassed" from the hull.

I simply mixed some Home Depot 30 minute epoxy and re-glued it to the hull.  Just use some lacquer thinner and make sure that both surfaces are clean.  Easily done

BTW, I used the galvanized sheet rock screws to reattach the plywood muffler platform to the 2x4 strips glassed to the hull.   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788